Volvo raw water pump impellers on ebay...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shufti

Vessel Name
Wine Down
Vessel Make
Riviera 35' FB
Looking at Ebay there are some cheap impeller kits for my TAMD41A from the UK. They nowhere say 'genuine volvo part' in the ad so I assume they are knock-offs. But.. has anyone tried them? Are they too good to be true.. or is an impeller just an impeller?

Ebay listing here

I have been using JABSCO impellers in my TMD40s for seventeen years. If you can avoid using Volvo parts, do so, as the costs are astronomical compared to Cat or Cummins.

Thanks guys - did some checking and there's a Jabsco agent less tha 5km from my door. Got the impellers for less than 1/2 the price of the 'genuine volvo part'.

Thanks again.

I'm NOT a big EBay fan. There is no quality control or responsibility there. You could be dealing with a forger out of his basement in South America, or you could be dealing with a legit top drawer company. Unless you know, buyer beware.

Fortunately, it's usually ok, but not for me unless I can verify a quality seller and be able to verify the quality of the part.

Now there are some used items that make sense, but wearable items like impeller kits, hoses, motors... no way. And the OP link does not say who made the kit.

There are lots of good companies that discount boat parts, when you can have traceability and reputable parts.

............... If you can avoid using Volvo parts, do so, as the costs are astronomical compared to Cat or Cummins.

First of all, that's not necessarily true, but more importantly, genuine Volvo parts are a known quality. There are third party replacement parts for many Volvo parts and some are equal quality but some may be junk. It wouldn't be wise to ruin you engine because you save $10 on an inferior part.

If a part is significantly cheaper than the factory part, there is probably a reason.

Sometimes you can find genuine branded parts on eBay or other on-line vendors (amazon has a lot) at discounted prices.

And no, an impeller is not just an impeller. This is something that can fail if it's made with inferior materials or manufacturing process and could leave you stranded somewhere with an overheated engine and rubber debris all through your cooling system, heat exchanger, etc.

Last edited:
This is something that can fail if it's made with inferior materials or manufacturing process and could leave you stranded somewhere with an overheated engine and rubber debris all through your cooling system, heat exchanger, etc.

There is certainly something to be said about that. I tend to stick with factory-branded parts too. But dag-gumm, I wish Volvo wasn't so in love with their parts so much. We could have bought a used Mercedes convertible for what we paid for two new heat exchangers. :)

There is certainly something to be said about that. I tend to stick with factory-branded parts too. But dag-gumm, I wish Volvo wasn't so in love with their parts so much. We could have bought a used Mercedes convertible for what we paid for two new heat exchangers. :)

Exactly why we've decided to rule out boats with Volvo Penta engines - hate that because we've seen some nice boats, that haven't sold.

Ditto here...after 17 years of putting up with Volvo, we will never own another Volvo powered boat.

Volvo don't make impellers, they buy them from Jabsco and repackage them, they don't make filters either.
Only use Volvo parts for the duration of any guarantee as it will invalidate your warranty.
After that you are free to choose.

Tom,

TOTALLY AGREE!

Volvo is brutally expensive, and they are not "that much better". Their CS is fair to poor and you can't just call them.

In the gas engine business, I've had both Volvo on two boats and Merc on perhaps 10 or more.

I'll NEVER EVER own another Volvo gas engine, and don't care if it's free! Costs are thru the roof and their service absolutely sucks. Unfortunately there are some great boat the have them.

Also, in my area there are probable one good Volvo guy to 100 good Merc guys.

Diesel, I don't know, never had one, but I'm a bit gun shy.

Lenco Coolers - marine heat exchangers, marine oil coolers

This is a reputable company. I bought and installed one of their transmission oil coolers.

Tom,

TOTALLY AGREE!

Volvo is brutally expensive, and they are not "that much better". Their CS is fair to poor and you can't just call them.

In the gas engine business, I've had both Volvo on two boats and Merc on perhaps 10 or more.

I'll NEVER EVER own another Volvo gas engine, and don't care if it's free! Costs are thru the roof and their service absolutely sucks. Unfortunately there are some great boat the have them.

Also, in my area there are probable one good Volvo guy to 100 good Merc guys.

Diesel, I don't know, never had one, but I'm a bit gun shy.

I can call or go to my local Volvo industrial/marine dealer and talk to the parts guys and buy what I need. If they don't have it, they will get it in a few days.

I haven't needed them for service but they do have a full service shop.

I can call or go to my local Volvo industrial/marine dealer and talk to the parts guys and buy what I need. If they don't have it, they will get it in a few days.

I haven't needed them for service but they do have a full service shop.

WesK,

You're fortunate, we don't have that here, and I've NEVER been able to contact Volvo at all. Merc will answer in a heartbeat... MUCH better service.

Volvo.... NEVER again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom