View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 10:39 PM   #8
kthoennes
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Well and then here's another thing -- in addition to parts and hardware, good luck finding anybody to work on your boat locally. Even if I had piles of money to blow on the boat and wanted to hire somebody, there are no boat service people for at least 300 miles. It is a good teaching/learning situation because I have to do everything myself, but sometimes it's just a pain. We wanted somebody to buff and wax the hull because I just didn't have time. We called a car detailer who said he did boats too, but he never showed up. We needed a stratoglass panel replaced on the canvas canopy. One person in Yankton advertised as doing boat canvas, but she never showed up and eventually we shipped the panel to a boat canvas place in upstate New York that has Mainship patterns. Can't find anybody to clean the boat, or troubleshoot my nav electronics, or tune the engines, or change the impellers. I have talked to my Dad about hiring somebody from Stuart FL, sending the person a plane ticket and paying him for three days of service time to knock out my to-do list for me, but that gets frighteningly expensive -- and if he needed any parts when he was here, there's nowhere to get them. It's a challenge.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote