Lost gear pressure in Allison

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swampu

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Cajun Rose
Vessel Make
Biloxi Lugger
Good morning, I retrieved my boat from hurricane hole yesterday evening and the bow was stuck on the bank a little. I worked the Rose left and right and reverse until it came off the bank. Well during that process my starboard gear lost pressure. Did I mess it up using too many rpm's in reverse? I didn't inspect anything yet, my steering went out too (story for another thread).
My question is what and were should I start trouble shooting?
Thanks

With engine idling, go check oil level. Always remove and wipe stick before dipping back in for a check. Stick is in a deep tube so first pull always seems to show high oil.

Oil is checked idling in neutral. Many check with engine off, it will read high then.

Next will be to check that selector valve is moving on top of gear.

With engine idling, shift fnr and listen for any sound changes around the gear. Whine change, thunks or clunks.

Any pressure gauge on unit?

Thank you Ski, I was able to check it out after work. I got lucky, it was the linkage that broke and the selector was positioned between neutral and reverse. I guess it was passing oil so the pressure was about 50 psi. Everything is good now, just need a new linkage part and I’m good to go

Nice, once in a while things go well after the initial panic.

Trawler Forum in action! I love this site.

Back
Top Bottom