Generator Oil Level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hmason

Guru
Vessel Name
Lucky Lucky
Vessel Make
Pacific Mariner 65
I have owned this boat for 6-years and still am trying to understand this. When I pull out the dipstick to check the oil on my 8kw Onan generator it is always completely dry. No oil on it at all. Put it back in and remove it again and the oil level shows full. Run the generator and then check the oil again and the same exact process repeats itself. Any ideas why? :whistling: It's not a problem, it's a mystery.

My Yamaha F250 outboard does the same thing. Yamaha put out a service bulletin that specified a standard way to use the dipstick (no kidding). The dipstick is in a tube and has an o-ring seal. Air gets trapped in the tube causing a false low level. The answer was to pull the dipstick to allow the oil level to equalize in the tube, then reseat the DS, then pull out and read the level.

Well that explains it. Thanks!

Thanks. My Onan MDKD 6.5 does the same as Howard`s. I`d worked out the initial reading was wrong, but not why. Now I know.

Yep, mine's an MDKD also.

Yep, tube goes to bottom of pan. First pull no oil. Something to do with air in tube.

My house hurricane gennie is an ex-marine MDKD, does exact same thing.

It`s scary until you work out it cannot be the genset has NO oil left. This thread will help Onan owners, but beware, they can still use oil.
Wonder if it can be misleading refilling when changing oil? Memory says once the dipstick is reading correctly it keeps doing it, while you are topping up and checking the level.

Even with the dipstick withdrawn it takes a while for the oil to work its way up the dipstick tube. When filling or checking the oil the dipstick needs to be out for a few minutes before reinserting to ck the level.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom