View Single Post
Old 10-10-2017, 07:55 AM   #6
KSF

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Kissed Some Frogs
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 42
Thanks all for your questions.

Attached are some photo's of the area in question.

There are three layers in the lazarette.
  1. Top fiberglass gelcoat shell. About 1/8" thick. it's thin enough that it's cracked through and is springy when stepped on.
  2. Air gap. About 1/2", partially filled with 5200 or something similar. (The 5200 stuff looks factory original as I can see the pattern of the top fiberglass layer where it's been removed).
  3. Fiberglass hull. (where the bilge pump and switch have been screwed in)

The water is flowing into the gap between the layers (not from the of the top layer). I've wet-vac'ed the area dry, and it takes about an hour before you see the first signs of water. I've also checked all of the hoses, pumps, strainers etc in this area and find no signs of leaks. All of these are above the top shell.

The actual bilge for the boat is in the keel which is lower than this area by a good 8-10". This area is at the same level as the engine room floor, and is separated from that by a stringer. Given that the bilge is relatively dry, I'm pretty sure that this area is isolated from the engine room/bilge area.

I have not spoken to Beneteau on this. I will try to find a US contact for them and see if I can get some "Support technique".

Here are a few photos of the area with the problem. Note that the gap is large enough that I can stick my finger into it.

KSF is offline   Reply With Quote