WESTERBEKE 7.7kw 3 cyl. diesel Genset. 1982,3? What brand engine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capn Craig

Guru
I have a 7.7 kw Diesel Westerbeke genset.* I need to rebuild or replace the engine circulation water (antifreeze) pump.* There is inplay in the pulley shaft indicating bad bearings.* What brand is the engine?* I suspect I could buy a replacement from an agriculture source for not* much more than parts.* Especially if I am forced to buy Westerbeke parts.* They seem to have a gold plated cost.* I also need to rebuild the raw water pump as it drips out shaft seal.* Does any body know the Jabsco number for it?

Yea, I'm cheap.

-- Edited by Capn Craig on Thursday 8th of September 2011 08:51:50 PM

Capn Craig wrote:
I have a 7.7 kw Diesel Westerbeke genset.* I need to rebuild or replace the engine circulation water (antifreeze) pump.* There is inplay in the pulley shaft indicating bad bearings.* What brand is the engine?* I suspect I could buy a replacement from an agriculture source for not* much more than parts.* Especially if I am forced to buy Westerbeke parts.* They seem to have a gold plated cost.* I also need to rebuild the raw water pump as it drips out shaft seal.* Does any body know the Jabsco number for it?

Yea, I'm cheap.

----------------------------------------

Often the pump manufacture and model will be cast into the body of the pump. *For example, my Onan fresh water pump was an Oberdorfer P51. The problematic Onan salt water pump, is about $1000 to replace and $300 - $400 to rebuild. Finally I said screw it and replaced it with a Jabsco belt driven pump of comparable size and capped off the gear drive. There are many pump suppliers on line to buy from. *If you can get the pump name go to:

http://www.pumpagents.com/*

I bought both my pumps from them.

Larry B

-- Edited by Capn Craig on Thursday 8th of September 2011 08:51:50 PM

-- Edited by Edelweiss on Thursday 8th of September 2011 09:14:07 PM

-- Edited by Edelweiss on Friday 9th of September 2011 10:12:59 PM

I've got the same genny 1981 model. It's a Perkins engine. The PO replaced the raw water pump with a 110V fountain pump due to accessibility issues. Works great. The genny guys really like the W7.7 unit, it's nearly bullet proof.

Daddyo wrote:

I've got the same genny 1981 model. It's a Perkins engine. The PO replaced the raw water pump with a 110V fountain pump due to accessibility issues. Works great. The genny guys really like the W7.7 unit, it's nearly bullet proof.

I thought about doing the same thing. It sounded so simple I talked myself out of it. It just seemed like if would work, someone would have already done it. That's funny!!

Back
Top Bottom