What do you pay for hull cleaning?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hjorgan

In-water with divers.
What price per foot?

And do-it-yourselfers?

We do our own. The divers who do others in our marina, Jacksonville, charge $2/foot unless extremely fouled. In Fall River, MA, I know a diver who charges a minimum of $3/foot. He’s extremely busy. The charges are for length over all not water line length.

I'm in Vero beach Florida. Pay a diver $100 FOR a 44 foot trawler.

When needed we paid $100 for a 47' boat in Long Island NY.
Most all of the time we do it ourselves with a pony system and tank onboard.

$56 base rate for a 22' center console in SWFL. Not sure what they use for length - boat has a swim platform & pulpit so maybe ~26' overall.

In SoCal for my 38' Trawler, I pay $45.00 per monthly cleaning and every year or so, he includes zinc replacement labor at no charge with a decent price for them, as needed.

In SoCal for my 38' Trawler, I pay $45.00 per monthly cleaning and every year or so, he includes zinc replacement labor at no charge with a decent price for them, as needed.

That’s a great deal on the length and the zincs. Around here, the installation of zincs is always an extra.

When we were in Mexico, West Coast, $1/foot.

Last edited:
When needed we paid $100 for a 47' boat in Long Island NY.
Most all of the time we do it ourselves with a pony system and tank onboard.

Smitty, can you provide details/pics of your pony system? I usually check my bottom paint with a mask, but I'd love to stay down a bit longer!

Around Morehead City, the going rate seems to be around $2.00/ft. plus zincs. Some charge hourly, $75 to $85/hour, for first visit.

I've found that some guys are too cheap and compensate by not doing the work.

In Cartagena Colombia it was $20 usd for two men on a KK42. The bottom was pretty bad after being in the harbor for a month. Took them about 4 hrs. They did an excellent job, I checked when we got to Puerto Rico.

We are in San Diego Harbor on a '44 Gulfstar. In 5 years we have had 5 different divers. Have a good, dependable one just now who comes once a month, charges $65 per trip plus a bit extra if replacing zincs in addition to their cost.

$2 to $2.50 per foot seems pretty normal in our area depending on the length and condition. Also it depends on whether it's a one time deal or a regular monthly or every three weeks job.

Reminder, there is no reason not to know if the divers are doing a good job. Get the GoPro camera on a stick set up and examine. We always have someone present when cleaning is being done as well. I know generally that's not possible.

Bottom cleaning

$ 70 bucks a month for a KK 42 here in So-Cal - Channel Islands Harbor.

I had another guy that was $ 45 a month - but he did a poor job.

Now this guy does good job.

Alfa Mike

$1.25 per foot here in Punta Gorda, FL.
Zincs are not extra.

Bottom Cleaning

I do my own. $50 For a used tank from the dive shop. $150 For used 50 ft hose and 1st and 2d stage regulators from eBay. $8 to fill the tank and it is good for 2 cleanings if I don't let it get to bad. That's on a 39' bottom. Next season I will be buying a wet suit. The water temp here in the PNW is never very inviting.

2 bucks per ft typical here even though Longboat Key often commands an Island surcharge in most other services.

I pay Zero. And I do zero. I spend the winters in fresh water and the summer in salt. The unwanted growth is gone a couple days after the change.

"I pay Zero. And I do zero."

Good ablative bottom paint and moving the boat takes care of the bottom.

Have never had to scrub the bottom since starting in 1960,

then the paint was Neptune with a massive amount of copper in the paint .

A 2 year haul was all that was required in the NE for a liveaboard that moved the boat on weekends..

Last edited:
I pay $100/yr for pressure wash at haul out. This year the hull was virtually clean when the boat was hauled.

$1.60/ft + zincs

And for a completely different approach, here in Campbell River we have a drive in hull cleaning operation. It is not cheap - $5/and change per foot to over 40 feet.

Can't seem to attach the link using my iPhone (I'm sure there is a way) but the name is

Hydro Clean Hull Wash

Last edited:
IMG_6253.JPG

Is this it Conrad? Grabbed this from a Facebook page by that name.

My diver charges $50/hr for cleaning and I have my two boats cleaned quarterly. The cost depends on the time it takes. For my 40ft sailboat that can range from $50 to $100. It takes less time in the winter than the summer.

$65 / month during winter. $130 / month during warm months - but cleaned every 2 weeks. He does a good job.

Zincs replacements are ridiculous (I think). Shaft $38 ea. Rudder $30 ea. Struts $30 ea. 6 x 12 plate $85 ea. :eek:

I've hesitated to switch because it seems like everyone else in the marina is constantly changing divers, and there is a constant turnover of kids who think it is a fun/easy way to make a living. Till they get bored, burn out, etc. :nonono:

I don't clean the bottom. The marina is fresh water most of the time, so growth is slow compared to most areas.

Me: annual haul-out with power wash, with bottom-paint repair and zinc replacement.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom