View Single Post
Old 10-06-2017, 02:04 PM   #7
cardude01
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
When to use the PLB?

No offense taken. I readily admit much or all of the lack of propulsion/steadying on that crossing was probably operator error/inexperience. When I went on that Abaco trip I had tested the sails a grand total of 2 times, so I'm definitely low on the learning curve. And really, that's why I posted-- it would seem a little silly to activate the PLB just because I couldn't figure out the sails. [emoji30]. I could have altered course and had a much better ride and better sailing I think, but I didn't of course at the time because the engine was running and I was trying to make my destination before dark.

My sails are small and in about 15 knots I can really only make about 3 knots on a reach, and it doesn't sail very well to windward (or I don't know how). If I did alter course for a reach that would have me either headed into the current of the GS, or I could have turned and headed back towards the Bahamas for a reach that way. Or maybe heave to and let the current take me?

To ask another way, what would a conventional sailboat do in this situation where the engine would not start and there was no wind, and it happened out in the middle of the GS?
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote