View Single Post
Old 10-05-2017, 09:01 AM   #1
Idle Time

City: Wellesley Island
Caribbean Cruising in a Mainship Pilot 34

We purchased a 2000 Mainship Pilot 34 in May 2017. Providence has a 36" draft, 12' beam, 36' LOA. She carries 250 gal of fuel and 70 gal of water. Her 350 hp Yanmar powers her nicely. We can get 10 gph at 2600 RPM, say 12-13 knots and only sips fuel at 7 ish knots.

We bought the boat now so we can get some miles under the keel in familiar waters before we venture into unknown territory. We plan to cruise the Great Loop when we retire in six years. This will give us the time to make a few minor tweaks and additions to make us a little more independent.

A side trip we are planning on includes the Bahamas. And the following year we would like to spend a year or so traveling through the Bahamas, the Leeward, and Windward Islands of the Caribbean. Crew includes my wife and I with an occasional guest now and then.

Is there anyone out there who has traveled these waters in a Mainship Pilot 34? If so, I have a few questions if you don't mind sharing.

1. How well did the boat handle the trade winds and seas?

2. What time of day did you find traveling to be the most comfortable?

3. Were you able to travel easily to outer islands and still have sufficient range to return and obtain clean fuel?

4. Were you able to obtain spare parts reasonably?

5. What did you learn about the boats capabilities and limitations?

6. What additions or modifications did you do to prepare for your trip?

7. What would you do differently?

I thank you most humbly for your knowledge.
Idle Time is offline   Reply With Quote