Travels of "Emma B" (JD powered Helmsman)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nice photos. I am jealous of your cruising grounds.

I have heard good things about JD, and I suppose there is good reason there is a lot of green and yellow heavy machinery on farms. IE, reliable and durable.

We ended up going with a Cummins 6.7/380HP for our boat that is currently construction.

I'll comment from the builder's perspective -- this John Deere 4045 was a challenge. It was a tight fit, and for a variety of "first installation" reasons there were some problems that had to be worked out after the arrival of the boat in Seattle. Mr. Durant was patient as we worked through them with the local distributor (who supplied the engine) and their Seattle service agent. And we then went through a couple of iterations to get the prop pitched correctly. There have been a couple of problems with the engine since Mr/ Durant's departure that required warranty support -- one resulting from an installation issue (again because this was a different engine with different installation protocols) and another an engine electrical controls / computer error.

No doubt the second installation will be much smoother because of learning.

Despite the tight fit, access in the engineroom and around the engine is surprisingly good (which helped a lot with making the work straightforward).

Good news is it works well aboard the 31. The boat feels sturdy and determined underway! And the end result is quieter and smoother than I had personally expected.

Scott Helker
Helmsman Trawlers

Scott Helker
Helmsman Trawlers

Since Seasall was brought up as a topic, can you elaborate on your experience there. I would be comfortable with them on the East Coast and in FL where they have quite a large number of support and service centers, but how does one get service in the PNW with no service centers there?

VERY pleased and impressed with the engine. Smooth, quiet, with easy-to-access service points. We researched this engine and its track record in Europe, and more recently its growing popularity as a re-power choice in British Columbia. I think that this engine is a real winner. "What about service?" is a legitimate question. The US distributor (Performance Diesel) in Houston stocks parts and provides responsive expertise. They have been working to develop the dealer network, and have taken recommendations from us (based upon where boats are located or could be located) to solicit new dealers. In my opinion an established engine dealer with other lines should be receptive to these overtures because the Hyundai Seasall is a good choice for repowers -- footprint, cost, reliability -- and we're expecting that the network will expand. There is an agent in Seattle, for instance (Coastal Marine) and I understand that Cook Engine in Portland is joining the network. And of course a Northwest cruiser operating in BC is covered by an established presence there.

Scott Helker
Helmsman Trawlers

VERY pleased and impressed with the engine. Smooth, quiet, with easy-to-access service points. We researched this engine and its track record in Europe, and more recently its growing popularity as a re-power choice in British Columbia. I think that this engine is a real winner. "What about service?" is a legitimate question. The US distributor (Performance Diesel) in Houston stocks parts and provides responsive expertise. They have been working to develop the dealer network, and have taken recommendations from us (based upon where boats are located or could be located) to solicit new dealers. In my opinion an established engine dealer with other lines should be receptive to these overtures because the Hyundai Seasall is a good choice for repowers -- footprint, cost, reliability -- and we're expecting that the network will expand. There is an agent in Seattle, for instance (Coastal Marine) and I understand that Cook Engine in Portland is joining the network. And of course a Northwest cruiser operating in BC is covered by an established presence there.

Scott Helker
Helmsman Trawlers

Yes, I noticed the BC coverage. Very well covered as is the East Coast of the US. If I was cruising from BC south down the coast though I'd be a little concerned. No question Hyundai has the experience and expertise to build a great engine. I've also noticed how much their network has grown just in the past year.

OK...
Back to regular scheduled programming ?

Why I love the PNW
Pictures taken "just now"

Attachments

• IMG_5310.jpg
    IMG_5310.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_5309.JPG
    IMG_5309.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 84
Performance Diesel is the USA distributor for the Hyundai product line. We have been supporting this line since 2015 when Hyundai stepped into the US market with their EPA Tier 3 product line. The S series engine has been a very popular engine due to the fact that it is almost a direct replacement for the 5.7 gas engine, and this engine has been installed in wakeboard vessels, along with small water taxis for the overseas market.

The engineering and support for Hyundai engines has been outstanding. Currently, parts are readily available for all the Hyundai engines sold into the US market. All of the feedback on the S series engine is stated very simply as; smooth, quiet, outstanding acceleration, phenomenal fuel burn. I would highly recommend to the trawler market that they experience the Helmsman 31 with the Hyundai engine. With the diesel market changing so quickly due to the EPA standards and the advancement in the common rail fuel systems, it is exciting to see all of the changes in the small diesel engine the last couple of years.

If you have any further questions regarding the Hyundai SeasAll engines you can contact us at 281-464-2345. We look forward to talking to you in the near future.

Perhaps a new thread on Diesel engines or SeaSALL engines is in order...

Performance Diesel is the USA distributor for the Hyundai product line. We have been supporting this line since 2015 when Hyundai stepped into the US market with their EPA Tier 3 product line. The S series engine has been a very popular engine due to the fact that it is almost a direct replacement for the 5.7 gas engine, and this engine has been installed in wakeboard vessels, along with small water taxis for the overseas market.

The engineering and support for Hyundai engines has been outstanding. Currently, parts are readily available for all the Hyundai engines sold into the US market. All of the feedback on the S series engine is stated very simply as; smooth, quiet, outstanding acceleration, phenomenal fuel burn. I would highly recommend to the trawler market that they experience the Helmsman 31 with the Hyundai engine. With the diesel market changing so quickly due to the EPA standards and the advancement in the common rail fuel systems, it is exciting to see all of the changes in the small diesel engine the last couple of years.

Nice little advertisement. Now, you missed the one key point about service of the Hyundai Seasall engines. There is no factory authorized service nor trained personnel on the West Coast, between Seattle and Panama City, Panama. I think highly of the engine and have said nothing otherwise. However, if I was purchasing and Helmsman and heading down the west coast and going to spend the next five years in Southern California and Mexico, then I'd have a concern. I'm not saying persons not trained on it, couldn't service it. I'm sure most good mechanics could.

It's also not a criticism of Performance Diesel as I own several MAN's and know them well. I believe coverage of the non-covered areas will happen soon. But I'm just reporting on the picture as it is today. If I'm incorrect, please have Seasall correct their site as that's my source of information.

I began this thread to share the travels of my Helmsman Camano "Emma B", to show the beauty of the PNW and that you don't need a large trawler to enjoy it.
A site such as this is much better served if all who are contributing to "diesel talk" started a new thread. I say this because anyone looking for information or opinions on diesels would look under whatever heading you choose to call the new thread. I doubt anyone seeking such information would look under "the adventures of Emma B"
Both threads would be better served.....

Speaking of cruising...
It's been an unbelievable season for whales, sealions, porpoises etc.
We had Orcas on Johnstone Strait yesterday, porpoises several times today. As well...passing through Gillard and the Yuks just now, we had several sealions right at the boat and about a quarter mile later a pod of Orcas.
Truly feel blessed at the scenery and sea life up here!!
Bonus is it is all happening with date squares baking in the oven (seriously)
Life don't get much better ?

Attachments

• IMG_5319.JPG
    IMG_5319.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 82
Orcas and galley slave ??

I mean commander..... ??

Attachments

• IMG_5323.JPG
    IMG_5323.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 111
Orcas today at the Yuks

Attachments

• IMG_5325.JPG
    IMG_5325.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 86
I should say that the new galley design on the Helmsman Camano is very functional. The fridge with large separate freezer is a treat...as is the 3 burner stove/oven. I liked the fact we could pick out the corion counter colours as well.

Durant
Thanks for posting these great pictures. We cruised the same area for 5 weeks this summer, mid July through mid August. Had a great trip, saw many of the same places but it seems you’re encountering more wildlife at this time of year.
I’m envious. Would love to be out there.

Thanks Doug
This is my 10th year cruising out here and have never seen as many Orcas or Humpbacks. Feeling very blessed for the great weather and sightings!
A wonderful time of year to be out as you feel it is all your own.
Hopefully we will cross paths some year.

Sir - thank you for sharing your adventure. Please keep it coming!

Jeff

Durant F, May I say I`m enjoying the pictorial story too. Keep em coming, don`t get distracted. Our cruise north of Vancouver was on a ship, thoroughly enjoyable but I think sea wildlife get closer to smaller craft. They sure did at Icy Strait Point.

thanks for sharing.

Thanks everyone...
We anchored in VonDonop Inlet on NW Cortes Isl last night. Awoke to a great morning. Too lazy to move quick...just enjoying the sunshine. Awesome weather for October! Was treated to a Cape Cod Catboat passing by this morning. Such pretty lines. Seemed odd seeing a traditional NE style boat out here in the NW.

Attachments

• IMG_5343.JPG
    IMG_5343.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_5342.JPG
    IMG_5342.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 98
Thanks everyone...
We anchored in VonDonop Inlet on NW Cortes Isl last night. Awoke to a great morning. Too lazy to move quick...just enjoying the sunshine. Awesome weather for October! Was treated to a Cape Cod Catboat passing by this morning. Such pretty lines. Seemed odd seeing a traditional NE style boat out here in the NW.

My other boat is a cape cod cat. Yes they can be pleasing to the eye.

Attachments

• Kiss.jpg
    Kiss.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 98
Amen brother
My trailersailor is a Suncat..."Herrshoff America"
??

Attachments

• IMG_5348.JPG
    IMG_5348.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 85
Tied up at Gorge Harbour Marina here on Cortes Isl.
Beautiful well kept grounds! Went for a walk and couldn't believe how tame the deer are....even with fawns.

Attachments

• IMG_5373.JPG
    IMG_5373.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_5374.JPG
    IMG_5374.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 62
Gorge Harbour Marina is truly first class.
The docks are great and the grounds amazing.

Attachments

• IMG_5392.JPG
    IMG_5392.JPG
    159.9 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_5391.jpg
    IMG_5391.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 67
All I see is nice sunny days. Where is all the rain you guys are supposed to get in the PNW?

Heh.....Just cuz Florida is the "sunshine state" doesn't mean other places don't have good weather too!!

??

Honestly, I've been out here since July 12th and I think have had 2 rain days and a few sprinkles on a couple of others. It's been a very dry year here. In my 10yrs cruising falls here I've never seen this many sunny days. Not complaining at all tho!

So nice out we took a 1-1/2 mile walk over to Whaletown. Seemed longer with all the hills and corners but a really nice walk through forest. Whaletown has a tiny post office, small mooring field and a government dock. Was cute as a Small floathouse at the dock ended up being a dental practice.
Tiny old church. Lots of character
View from the dock
Dental float

Attachments

• IMG_5393.jpg
    IMG_5393.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_5395.JPG
    IMG_5395.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_5396.JPG
    IMG_5396.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 73
I think people are drawn to smaller boats. A number of years ago I sailed a Flicka...a very salty looking and capable 20ft sloop. No matter where we anchored or tied up, there were soon admiring eyes and compliments to follow.
Not since that Flicka have I owned a boat that drew as much attention and received as many compliments. I think it's a combination of a good looking design, colours, and the fact that at an honest 28ft... a relatively small boat. For whatever reason, people seem to like Emma B

Attachments

• IMG_1200.JPG
    IMG_1200.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0151.JPG
    IMG_0151.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 511
Last edited:
Small boats can be so cute. Just like small cars. Like Mini-Coopers. Like VW Beetles. Even the TT 35 could be pushed like a PT Cruiser. You can't paint a Cadillac like a Mini-Cooper.

Back at Cambell River for my friends flight out. We were lucky again on our trip from Cortes as we saw 4-5 Humpback whales playing together as Orcas do. Was great to see.
I like Cambell River as there is so much so close to the marina. Great community on the docks here as well.
I get a kick out of the other Camino. It is hull #3 so a 1989 or 1990.
So right now there is one of the oldest directly across from one of the newest.
Great forecast for the next week. Hoping for one more tour through Desolation Sound before hauling out.

Attachments

• 2DE18DD4-B9FC-4000-A807-FFF63A7624B0.jpeg
    2DE18DD4-B9FC-4000-A807-FFF63A7624B0.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 88
  • CC552A99-82B6-47CA-910E-CF4B822D6B7A.jpeg
    CC552A99-82B6-47CA-910E-CF4B822D6B7A.jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 86

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom