Clean Bottom-Clean Prop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codger2

Guru
Vessel Name
Circuit Breaker
Vessel Make
2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
I just received this in an E-Mail from a good friend at Mikelson Yachts.

*A CLEAN BOTTOM on your Mikelson!
I am going to convey quickly and clearly how important a clean bottom and clean propellers are......
A simple test was conducted on a boat left in salt water un-cleaned for 40 days and it's performance....
DAY 1** - 25.0 mph
DAY 10 - 21.5 mph
DAY 20 - 18.5 mph
DAY 40 - 13.0 mph
See www.boatfix.com/how/props.html for more details.

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Wednesday 7th of September 2011 02:52:58 PM

Our boat (left uncleaned for the whole 4 month "season") at WOT:

DAY 1 - 12.5
DAY 10 - 12.5
DAY 20 - 12.5
DAY 40 - 12.5
Day 60 - 12.5

Day 120- 12.5

At cruise:

DAY 1 - 8.0
DAY 10 - 8.0
DAY 20 - 8.0
DAY 40 - 8.0
Day 60 - 8.0

Day 120 - 8.0

It must be either cold water or clean living.

:biggrin:

(LMAO) I have to admit, I found that hard to believe but if it is on the Internet, you must give it some credibility! :eek:mfg:

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Wednesday 7th of September 2011 03:36:20 PM

Walt, I am afraid that our friend, David, has been going around with a dirty bottom all the time.
no.gif

Moonstruck wrote:
Walt, I am afraid that our friend, David, has been going around with a dirty bottom all the time.
no.gif
Ahh, a new motto: Culus Sordidum Navis Lentus

(Pardon my terrible schoolboy latin, but its been 50 years)

-- Edited by dwhatty on Wednesday 7th of September 2011 05:55:42 PM

It is believable and true in our area this time of year, even with fresh anti-fouling. As I used to dive for a living and still have a diver on staff, I hear on a weekly basis " I just painted it last year" (month, week) "why is it not turning up"

and also..." your refrigeration technician fixing the air conditioning in the V berth must have done something to my diesel engines in the cockpit because the boat is not turning up and I just painted it last year"*
confuse.gif
no.gif
smile.gif

also, a cheaper bottom paint job down the street is not always a good bottom paint job, especially when someone uses a roller to put paint that is intended for a properly prepared fiberglass bottom on metal *running gear that has only been pressure washed (aka "cleaned and prepped") and the paint peels off the running gear during the first trip back to the slip...

just my rant and two cents for the night !
biggrin.gif

At my marina, everyone has a diver. They usually clean the bottoms every three weeks about this time of year, every couple months in winter. Paint or no paint. The paint just makes it easier to clean.

As for efficiency, I believe the first post. Friends with planing hulls can't get on plane if their hulls are dirty.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom