Defever 44 vs 49

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobfnbw

Hi. Like the Defever boats. Doing my*research*now on them. I like both the 44 and the 49 and have some questions about both.

Seems that the layout if*similar. But the weight is of course more on the 49, yet the engines are the same, and the fuel capacity is the same. So to me that means less range with the 49 vs the 44 correct? Why do you think the designer would do that ?
Wouldn't/shouldn't a larger boat have a greater range ?

Also the price on the older models seem roughly the same. Why is this do you think? The Defever site says the 44 is the most popular model, so is that the reason for the strong price on that model or is it something else?

Thanks in advance,
Bob

I purchased a 1999*49' DeFever CPMY in May after a one year search for a 44'.* The layout is basically the same.* The 49' just has a five foot cockpit at the stern.* Generally the 44' boats have either 120 HP or 135 HP Ford Leaman engines.* My 49' has a Perkins*Saber M135 engine.* I believe the crusing speed of about 8 knots and 4 GPH fuel consumption are the same for both boats.* My 49' has 1150 gallons of fuel capacity thus a somewhat longer cruising range.* The 44' weighs about 48,000 pounds and the 49' weighs 52,000 pounds.* I love my 49' thus far.* I have run it 800 miles from Clearwater, FL to Pickwick Lake on the Tennessee River.

I included*active stabilizers as one of my requirements.* They provide*a great ride and I believe will*be a positive*in the future sale of the boat.

Hi CHanson
I am in the process of buying the same boat a 99 cpmy Devever You now have yours several years what tips might you have for me
Gregg

FYI. The older Defever 49 was a raised pilot house boat. The newer 49 is basically the 44 with stern added.

Bob

Please provide location and listing numbers for each vessel and the experinced DF Crew here could provide more meaningful feedback.

Laying your eyes on each of the boats you consider is essential. Internet/sales pictures and statements are at times intended to obscure reality.

FYI. The older Defever 49 was a raised pilot house boat. The newer 49 is basically the 44 with stern added.

The 49 cockpit model is also known as the 44 + 5 which is pretty popular allowing an aft master but easier ingress and egress than most.

I am still in love with our 49 RPH which is the raised pilot house but the master and v berth are close together but the engine room is huge and allows great access to everything. The new RPH is the 52 a very nice laid out boat.

The 49 PH is still in production, as a smaller versin of the 52 PH.

The 49 cockpit was the 44 with a cockpit. It is now the 50 cockpit, which is the 45 with a cockpit.

The 45/50 boats have similar layouts to the 44/49 boats, but with a foot more LOa and beam. That gives room for a king berth aft and more salon space.

We had a 44 years ago and loved it. For us, the 50 is just about perfect.

Seems that the layout if*similar. But the weight is of course more on the 49, yet the engines are the same, and the fuel capacity is the same. So to me that means less range with the 49 vs the 44 correct? Why do you think the designer would do that ?
Wouldn't/shouldn't a larger boat have a greater range ?

Depending on year they may be the same basic hull with just 5' more cockpit. In that case no discernible difference in fuel usage. In fact, the hull speed of the 49' would be ever so slightly greater and make up for any weight difference.

While on the subject is there a 49 anywhere for sale

I will probably be told off for posting here but we are ready for a 49 very soon.

Thanks in adavance

Back
Top Bottom