View Single Post
Old 10-02-2017, 01:47 PM   #15
sdowney717
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Showing the PT wood I replaced in 2006 on the other side, in fine shape, not degraded at all. Two white pieces are new wood.

I sanded the surface to clean up the dirt and such. I scraped the mahogany top planking edge to clean wood, treated with oxalic acid. Then smeared in some Titebond 3 glue.
I will paint, then fill with some PL those frame pockets, then paint again on top, or some such method.

Otherside sealed and painted with primer.
You can see the ends of this degraded mahogany plywood support for the back teak decking.
I found out this board curves in 3 directions, it humps up in the middle, has a concave curve, AND the bottom edge twists forward about 5*

I have created two angular triangular brackets from wood for the inside corners to support the inner plywood support rails. Basically 2 2x6 pieces glued together, then ripped to 2.75" tall matching the height of the rails.
Then holding them in position, determined the proper angles to be achieved to fit well to the plywood support rails. Ripped from straight wood, glued on the angular edges, side edge is 15*, front edge is 3* and this fits well the space matching the plywood rails.

Will fit them in tomorrow. the old rear plywood still has enough left to aid in me designing the new ply support piece. Plan to cut some angled pieces that but up to it to help in making the new rail fit as it should.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote