View Single Post
Old 10-02-2017, 04:59 AM   #18
Seevee
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
A lot of good ideas, bug we will always forget something, hope it's minor.

It's not hard to reasonably get supplies in advance, but needs to be done timely.
Getting gas, water, food, generator, cash is easy in advance, but long before the hurricane becomes any threat.

Most of us won't have hurricane proof houses, especially in a flood zone, but can still prepare as best we can. Mine is not and never will be.

So, my plan is to bail if it's a cat 1 or greater that will hit us straight on, or from the water. I might hang around for a cat 1 from the land side. Our biggest issue is surge.

I left Sat afternoon by plane, but had to get a commissioner to open the airport. Our city, in its infinite wisdom close the airport 2 days early, pissing off a lot of guys that wanted to protect their aircraft. The airport is 6 feet msl. I flew off to Missouri and had a great 4 day vacation in a great place on the water, and even went boating a few times. Life was very good.

Returning, I flew over/thru the remains of the storm, which was now just a wet, weak mess.

We were very fortunate, minor roof damage and a fence down, and a lot of debris. A small tornado messed up a bunch of trees in the adjacent lot and probably went right over my boats. No damage to the boats. No loss of electricity, when most of the rest of town was out including the Publix two blocks away.

Gas was in short supply for a few days, so I gave mine to friends and family, as I didn't need any.

Questions:

What did you do to protect the glass on you boat, some kind of hurricane shutter or?.

For you flood zone guys, have you even thought of sealing up part of your house for flood, like the first 4 feet? A friend did that years ago in a storm and it worked. Used 3/4 plywood and sealed it with caulk. I did that in the 2004 hurricane, but we never flooded.