Irma damage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigfish

Vessel Name
My Lady
Vessel Make
Formosa 42 Double Cabin
My Lady got pretty beat up in Boot Key Harbor with no insurance

Wondering about more affordable repairs in Dominican Republic? Cuba? Anywhere? All damage above waterline...

I read from your other post that you are retired, so the best thing may be to start watching youtube videos on any aspect of repair you need. Going to DR costs fuel, and that money is gone - and added hrs to your engines. If you are unhappy with the repair six months down the line - what's your recourse? Better to pick up some fiberglassing skills and DIY.

The problem with boat stuff is the parts cost cannot be escaped, so may be best to stay where the supply chain works best.

Going south, get in line with all the damaged boats competeing for supplies and services. We have been to the DR and there are not any repair services/skilled labor or materials. Cuba? Ill leave that to others to comment on.

Your best bet might be to head north to at least JAX. Services are still good and you're not paying Fort Lauderdale or Miami prices.

What repairs are you looking at?

" All damage above waterline..."

If your boat is plastic and the damage is cosmetic , wait,

the rush is on and the no skilled good talkers are wandering looking for customers.

When the better yards have done all the insurance work thy can grab it will be time for repairs.

I read from your other post that you are retired, so the best thing may be to start watching youtube videos on any aspect of repair you need. Going to DR costs fuel, and that money is gone - and added hrs to your engines. If you are unhappy with the repair six months down the line - what's your recourse? Better to pick up some fiberglassing skills and DIY.

The problem with boat stuff is the parts cost cannot be escaped, so may be best to stay where the supply chain works best.

+1 on PMF1984 post. Sorry to hear about your vessel. I should try doing it yourself in small amounts. Youtube can be your friend.

Cheers.

H.

Back
Top Bottom