Oil Change Frequency

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got the oil samples back today.* Both the gen and the 671 came back that they were OK.* The gen set came equal to the 671 as I am surprised as the oil is black, compared to the 671 that is about the same color as oil. I changed the gen set just because if looks so black.* The good news is there is no diesel in either sample.* So the 671 will be change next fall, but I will take another oil sample.

We carry enough oil for 2 oil changes.* We had an oil line leak that sprayed all over the egine room.* I was very glad to have the extra oil so replace the oil

I'd like to reopen to this thread...

How many of you change the oil both before and after winter layup? What is the reason to drain unused oil and replace it with new?

Does the oil break down with time? If so, what is the nature of the breakdown and how long does that take?

Larry

Google the Chevron website, it has lots of answers to your oil questions. The "gospel" is to change in the fall before your layup to rid the*oil of the season's sulfur and other corrosive compounds. Most ignore the spring oil change. But your call. For 50 bucks or so, a change in the fall*it is pretty cheap and a good way to treat your nice AT. If you run your vessel year around, go by the book hour recommendations to be safe.*Is your vessel still under warranty? Don't void it if it is.

-- Edited by sunchaser on Monday 29th of August 2011 09:23:40 PM

Great Laker wrote:Does the oil break down with time?
****** When I was in the Navy & on the carrier, (CVN 65 Enterprise) we still had numerous propeller driven aircraft. We used to change the oil and put the old stuff in the reclamation tubes that were located on the hangar deck. That oil was run through a cleaning and filtering process and re-used. I often ask the above question and to this day I've not heard an answer that I can buy in to.

Attachments

• cvn 65.png
    cvn 65.png
    574.7 KB · Views: 70
Cold ( under 20F) starts are far better with synthetic.

Fuel consumption will be about 3% lower as the thin oil is easier to scrape off the cylinder walls.

To me the problem with synthetic is it drains all too well, and is poorer at anti rusting.

So an engine that may sit for weeks will get rust pits on the cylinder walls sooner than a dino oil will.

Most brands of oils that offer multiple oils like Rotella are compatible , so a gallon of Syn with 6 or 7 gal of reg is fine to increase crank speeds when cold , with no block heater.

The commercial vehicles that use syn mostly have extra bypass filtration , that extends the life of the expensive oil.

The Spinner 2 is the easiest to live with.

What do you guys do on a long trip The ICW from the chesapeake to s fl takes me 200hrs running all day every day would you change the oil along the way?

motion30 wrote:
What do you guys do on a long trip The ICW from the chesapeake to s fl takes me 200hrs running all day every day would you change the oil along the way?
*No. But if you have a FL 120 you should change the injector pump oil or at least check its level at 50 or so hours.

Last summer when taking her from Southern Portugal to Scandinavia (250 hours run), I changed oil and filters*in Dieppe, France after 100+ hours run from Portugal.
I have since swhitched to VDS compliant oil for my Volvo Penta's. Oil change interval for VDS compliant oil is 200 hours for my TAMD63L's.

I certainly agree with the need for an oil change prior to layup in the fall, and will do that regardless of the number of hours on the previous oil change. Given that I do that, what I'm asking is why is the gospel to change it again when launching in the spring? The oil is unused and seems to me ought to be OK to run on.

Sunchaser: I looked on the Chevron site and could not find where this is addressed. Can you provide a more specific link?

Great Laker wrote:
why is the gospel to change it again when launching in the spring? The oil is unused and seems to me ought to be OK to run on.
*I do not agree that this is gospel. I never change it again in the spring. I only know of very few who do that and they don't know why they do it.

Changing in the spring is not just dock talk. I don't know the details but it's chemical in nature. Like acid forms over time over the winter or something like that. The oil that's sat in your engine all winter is damaged by the cold and dampness ect ect. As Jay points out it's not necessary but I'll bet all engine manufacturers would/do agree that it should be done. The answer to the question is yes. Oil does break down over time in an engine.*

Walt, I worked in a powerhouse in western Alaska where we did our own re-refining of the used oil. Lots of heat and filtering. There are several reasons why re-refined oil is better than new oil. We but the re-refined oil into a very expensive 1440hp Enterprise diesel via the chief engineer's recommendation and the company's approval.*

The ICW from the chesapeake to s fl takes me 200hrs running all day every day would you change the oil along the way?

YOU BET!, The filter too!

The good news is many marinas ,private and municipal, have waste oil tanks , that can be used for free.

WE always have a couple of empty 5 gal oil pails ,( the oil came in) , and they are not bothered by being filled with 180F to 200F deg oil being removed after a long hard run..

The trick is to pump all that hot oil out with no hassle..

Be sure to pre fill the fresh oil filter with fresh oil if its a screw on.

After the change I like to re-start the warm engine to assure circulation of oil, not air , on the next cold start , and re check the level.

Some engine mfg will allow a filter change every other oil change , depends on the oil sampling results.

motion30 wrote:
*While work, writing, and other tasks prevent us from taking reallly long trips right now, we generally try to time our cruises so engine oil changes occur between them.* Our target oil change interval is 100 hours but our FL120 manual calls for them every 200 hours.* So we have some leeway and we have yet to encounter a situation where an oil change came due during a cruise.* I don't know that we've ever gone more than about 130 hours between oil and filter changes.

We do change the injector pump oil on our FL120s every 50 hours, however.* There have been times I've done it during a stop on a cruise.* It doesn't take long and the amount of oil involved is small.* So it's not an inconvenience.

Whether or not to change the engine lube oil during a cruise as you describe will depend on the engine(s) in your boat.* What's the recommended oil change frequency?* If, like the FL120, it's 200 hours I would change the oil prior to the start of the cruise even if there was less than 100 hours on the engine since the previous oil change.* And if I did put 200 hours on the boat during the run, I'd change the oil as soon as the run was over.* And I'd change the injector pump oil four times during the trip.

For Lehmans, Bob Smith recommends changing oil every 100 hours or annually, whichever comes first, OR every 200 hours with heavy use.

I do have a 120 lehman** and usually change before I leave and when I arrive** 50hrs on the inj pump?* well that only takes a a quart so no biggy** Always looks good I just keep the old jugs for waste oil** 3 ga This year I hope to leave eariler and take my time so I probably wii change on the way,,,if I beat the cold

FF wrote:

The ICW from the chesapeake to s fl takes me 200hrs running all day every day would you change the oil along the way?

YOU BET!, The filter too!

The good news is many marinas ,private and municipal, have waste oil tanks , that can be used for free.

WE always have a couple of empty 5 gal oil pails ,( the oil came in) , and they are not bothered by being filled with 180F to 200F deg oil being removed after a long hard run..

The trick is to pump all that hot oil out with no hassle..

Be sure to pre fill the fresh oil filter with fresh oil if its a screw on.

After the change I like to re-start the warm engine to assure circulation of oil, not air , on the next cold start , and re check the level.

Some engine mfg will allow a filter change every other oil change , depends on the oil sampling results.

We try for 200 hours, but sometimes it's 180 or 220.* Since we might be on a long trip and get over 400 hours during a year, we pack the oil and ability to change away from home.

Last week, changed oil in Port Harvey, BC - Took 1-1/2 hours, dumped the used oil in Port McNeill.

I agree 100% w FF but change my filter every 3rd change. Since a diesel engine's lube oli accumulates so much carbon and carbon is an abrasive one can clearly see changing often is a very good thing to do. And a change on the run without changing the filter is so very easy I do it fairly often.

Since a diesel engine's lube oli accumulates so much carbon and carbon is an abrasive one can clearly see changing often is a very good thing to do

This is why bypass filters are installed.

A Spinner II can be changed with a 50c piece of filter paper, and no mess.

www.spinnerii.com/

I have yet to meet a mechanic--- auto, aviation, or marine-- tell me that fresh oil and new filters are bad for an engine. So we change oil and filters together and at much shorter intervals than what the operators manuals call for. Considering all the other costs associated with vehicles, planes, and boats, oil and oil filters are pretty much free.

Follow themanufacturers instructions, it is in their best interest to have a well performing, dependable product. If you don't have a manual contact the dealer or the manufacturer.
Good luck.
Steve W.

Your'e right Marin but I'd be right if I said it would be good to change your oil every day too. I have a hard time changing a filter that is 3% full. At times I think it would be better to take off the old filter, drain out the old oil and fill w new but if I went to that much trouble I'd join your club and just put on a new filter. But it's so easy to just change the oil and not the filter and usually I do it more often*** .....as a result of this practice. Not trying to change you (that's hard to do) just trying to explain me.

Marin wrote:So we change oil and filters together and at much shorter intervals than what the operators manuals call for.
******** I subscribe to the same thinking. I also change the fuel filters at the same time.

******** It's the very least I can do for my engine. :nod:

Oil change frequency related engine failures are rare to say the least, therefore I think this thread has lost it's importance.

Jay,

Must only be in it's adolesent life ....Walt is even still with us.

jleonard wrote:
Oil change frequency related engine failures are rare to say the least,*
******** LOL That was the point that several of us were trying to make! THanks for the confirmation!

"Oil change frequency related engine failures are rare to say the least, "

Most failed engines I have seen were ignored to their death, not worked to death, or worn out.

Back
Top Bottom