Good source for Helm Seats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seevee

Guru
Vessel Make
430 Mainship
Doing some shopping for helm seats for a 400 Mainship flybridge.

I'd like to do what Bob Ackley and Steve Cyr did with their boat. Put three helm seats in the front, replacing the cushions on the sides, which are too low.

And, they need to be able to get a little closer and higher to the controls for the center one.

And, I'd like at least one of the side ones to recline so I can sleep with half an eye open to monitor the co pilot.....

But, I can't afford some of the expensive ones and they rapidly get very pricey, so wonder whats out there....

Choices that others have done?

How do you define "expensive"? Should start with that.

I always liked the Pompanette line myself, well built with good service. Had three across on the FB of our Hatteras. They were very helpful with some questions and parts for 20 year old chairs. Make some great deck chairs as well.

You should also check with some of the big marine consignment and second hand stores like Sailorman, they often have take outs from refits.

We bought 2 leather reclining Capt chairs from Honda Odyssey 2nd row at a auto salvage yard. $50 PER chair. Very comfortable and sturdy

I used Bentley's out of Portland, OR.

I met them at the Seattle Boat Show. I was able to look over their product. All their models were high quality but they got pricey fast. I selected a low back non reclining model with folding arm rests and built in electric heaters for about $700 per chair. I selected Naugahyde in colors that matched my flybridge. I could have chosen other fabrics if I wanted too.

I did not purchase bases from Bentley's. I felt the quality and price was to high for a chair left in the weather. I purchased my base's from Garlic. They are swivel, height adjustable, sliders with adjustable foot rests.

In the end I am very happy with the results, about $1,000 per chair. This is about 1/2 of what I was expecting to pay.

You find a lot of great helm chairs at $2,500. At $1,500 you find mostly plastic chairs with snap on cushions. It's easy to run a chair up to $6,000.

Hope this is of some help.

How do you define "expensive"? Should start with that.

I always liked the Pompanette line myself, well built with good service. Had three across on the FB of our Hatteras. They were very helpful with some questions and parts for 20 year old chairs. Make some great deck chairs as well.

You should also check with some of the big marine consignment and second hand stores like Sailorman, they often have take outs from refits.

Budget... maybe up into 4 figures, perhaps $1200 to 1500. But that's a bunch for a stinking seat.

I've seen a bunch in the $500 range that "look" pretty good, but don't want junk.

Might splurge of the main seat, but still want some features for the two sides.

I used Bentley's out of Portland, OR.

I met them at the Seattle Boat Show. I was able to look over their product. All their models were high quality but they got pricey fast. I selected a low back non reclining model with folding arm rests and built in electric heaters for about $700 per chair. I selected Naugahyde in colors that matched my flybridge. I could have chosen other fabrics if I wanted too.

I did not purchase bases from Bentley's. I felt the quality and price was to high for a chair left in the weather. I purchased my base's from Garlic. They are swivel, height adjustable, sliders with adjustable foot rests.

In the end I am very happy with the results, about $1,000 per chair. This is about 1/2 of what I was expecting to pay.

You find a lot of great helm chairs at $2,500. At $1,500 you find mostly plastic chairs with snap on cushions. It's easy to run a chair up to $6,000.

Hope this is of some help.

Great idea, thx!

I bought a leather chair from Office Depot for $300, it's inside though

If you attend the TF gathering at FT pierce, one of the excursions are to a great salvage yard. They have seats and pedestals in great condition for around $500.

Be warned, you will need a truck if you go there!

If you attend the TF gathering at FT pierce, one of the excursions are to a great salvage yard. They have seats and pedestals in great condition for around $500.

Be warned, you will need a truck if you go there!

Dimer,

Do you possibly have the name of that yard? We also have a great one here in St. Pete, but just doesn't have much in seating.

Last edited:
Great links! Many thanks, George.

Some very good links and sources...

I kinda like the car seat idea (except for a bolster). Pick up a few from a high end car that was totaled, and could have a LOT of seat for the money, even if having to recover.

Ya always pay a premium for a boat part, even similar to some auto parts.... and often double or triple.

However, there's a lot of boat seats, too.

We bought 2 leather reclining Capt chairs from Honda Odyssey 2nd row at a auto salvage yard. $50 PER chair. Very comfortable and sturdy

Interesting idea. Are they electric or manual adjustment? Could you post photos?

This is what you need. You'll never need to leave the chair. You can even fire the Phasers while reclined.
NorSap Modular Armrest Solutions

Actually take a look at their 800 series chairs.

I had been looking for several months, trying to find 2 identical for the flybridge, Craigslist, eBay, and other sites, missed out on a great offering on a pair off of a 47' SeaRay, ended up at BoatDepot.com, pair of Todd Bahama series. Comfort has a price, and it's for the 2 most important people on board, but didn't break the bank. Good Luck!

I'd like to do what Bob Ackley and Steve Cyr did with their boat. Put three helm seats in the front, replacing the cushions on the sides, which are too low.

And, they need to be able to get a little closer and higher to the controls for the center one.

And, I'd like at least one of the side ones to recline so I can sleep with half an eye open to monitor the co pilot.....

But, I can't afford some of the expensive ones and they rapidly get very pricey, so wonder whats out there....

Don't get too comfortable. You'll likely doze off, especially if entering old age. And I'm not hoping to confront a boater with only half an eye open. The expectation is that boaters have adequate lookout, but I assume all other boaters are ignorant/unaware unless otherwise proven.

Last edited:
Don't get too comfortable. You'll likely doze off, especially if entering old age. And I'm not hoping to confront a boater with only half an eye open. The expectation is that boaters have adequate lookout, but I assume all other boaters are ignorant/unaware unless otherwise proven.

Markpierce,

Note that I said monitor the copilot. When she drives I sleep, plane, car or boat. Works well.

But the pilot operating the vessel does keep both eyes open, and one hand on their beer <g>......

We started looking for new seats for our flybridge. After recovering from the sticker shock, I rebuilt one of our Pompanette seats from the base up. It was a lot cheaper and an interesting project.

We started looking for new seats for our flybridge. After recovering from the sticker shock, I rebuilt one of our Pompanette seats from the base up. It was a lot cheaper and an interesting project.

Good idea, and yes, some of the prices are crazy expensive. Pictures?

Question....

How valuable is a bolster for the flybridge captains seat? I don't have one so not sure if I should be missing it.

Also, considering side by side seats, or a double seat right at the helm. Sometimes I like the Admiral close by, thoughts?

I had one on a smaller Formula boat, individual bolsters, very high quality and comfy. Miss that seat.

Good idea, and yes, some of the prices are crazy expensive. Pictures?

Unfortunately, I was in a hurry and never took any photos.

One of the armrests on the captains helm seat was no longer fastened to the seat and was a safety issue if somebody grabbed it to steady themselves. Since this is at the back of the flybridge just in front of a low railing, I considered it a serious problem and wanted to fix it before we left for a 2-week vacation.

After taking the vinyl off, it was apparent that there was a manufacturing defect or poor quality repair done in the past. One of the T-nuts used to attach the armrest was missing and a hex nut had been used instead. Unfortunately, this was on a hole very near the edge of the plywood and the end result was that the nut pulled through and the plywood broke, leaving the arm rest flopping.

I cut a new seat bottom out of 3/4" plywood and drilled/countersunk the holes for the T-nuts, including an additional one that I bought. Before assembling, I applied a coat of West Systems 105 epoxy to the board to strengthen and protect it. The seat was reassembled and reinstalled, and it worked great on our trip.

My wife is quite handy on a sewing machine and takes care of all our canvas jobs, so she is going to make new vinyl covers in a year or so. Right now, she has just completed new drapes for the salon and is getting ready to make new cushions for our v-berth and dinette. She sure is nice to have helping on the boat! :dance:

Unfortunately, I was in a hurry and never took any photos.

One of the armrests on the captains helm seat was no longer fastened to the seat and was a safety issue if somebody grabbed it to steady themselves. Since this is at the back of the flybridge just in front of a low railing, I considered it a serious problem and wanted to fix it before we left for a 2-week vacation.

After taking the vinyl off, it was apparent that there was a manufacturing defect or poor quality repair done in the past. One of the T-nuts used to attach the armrest was missing and a hex nut had been used instead. Unfortunately, this was on a hole very near the edge of the plywood and the end result was that the nut pulled through and the plywood broke, leaving the arm rest flopping.

I cut a new seat bottom out of 3/4" plywood and drilled/countersunk the holes for the T-nuts, including an additional one that I bought. Before assembling, I applied a coat of West Systems 105 epoxy to the board to strengthen and protect it. The seat was reassembled and reinstalled, and it worked great on our trip.

My wife is quite handy on a sewing machine and takes care of all our canvas jobs, so she is going to make new vinyl covers in a year or so. Right now, she has just completed new drapes for the salon and is getting ready to make new cushions for our v-berth and dinette. She sure is nice to have helping on the boat! :dance:

What's your wife's number? :)

Dimer,

Do you possibly have the name of that yard? We also have a great one here in St. Pete, but just doesn't have much in seating.

Since you're in St Pete, you are a hop skip and a jump from Green Cove Springs. Monkey Fist Marine has a lot of trawler parts, they are at the entrance of Green Cove Springs marina.

Since you're in St Pete, you are a hop skip and a jump from Green Cove Springs. Monkey Fist Marine has a lot of trawler parts, they are at the entrance of Green Cove Springs marina.

Delta,

Yes, worth a call, but it's a bit of a distance.. probably 5 hr drive and 1.2 hour flight.

My old boat had a triple wide helm chair. I liked it best. My new helm chairs have bolsters, my old ones did not. I am neutral on bolsters, don’t hate them, don’t have to have one. Arm rest are a must for me, exspecially ones that fold up out of the way.

Our boat came with Springfield sliding/rotating seats mounted on Garelick pedestals. (Presumably just using stock on hand...)

The components are not really high end, but also reasonably serviceable while not in the "arm and leg" zone for cost$.

The track mechanism eventually went south, so I replaced those with Garelick parts.... which work slightly better, but partly because they're purpose-made for their own pedestals.

Anyway, they each offer several options, but maybe not the recliner thing...

-Chris

Finally in the water, Helm Seats turned out great! IMG_0421.jpgIMG_0420.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom