View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011, 09:34 PM   #15
HopCar
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
RE: Bottom Paint

There is no need to add TBT to bottom paint anymore. TBT was used as a slime preventer. Both Interlux and Pettit have come up with very effective replacements. Pettit uses Ingarol and Interlux uses Biolux. Copper is used to prevent hard fouling like barnacles and oysters. If you prefer a hard paint, you can't go wrong with Pettit Trinidad SR or Interlux Ultra with Biolux. I prefer an ablative or self polishing paint so I don't get a build up of paint over time. Interlux Micron 66 is great for boats that stay in the water year round. Micron Extra with Biolux can be hauled and relaunched for multi season use on boats that spend the winter on the hard. Interlux has even come up with a replacement for copper. It is their Econea which is used in conjunction with Biolux in their Pacifica paint.

About ten years ago I tried a product similar to Copper Coat. It was an epoxy resin with a very heavy load of copper. It lasted about as long as cheap bottom paint without a slime preventer. I was very disapointed.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote