View Single Post
Old 09-27-2017, 04:18 PM   #25
diver dave
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
I also labored over the flying vs boating decision. It actually started when I bought real estate at a fly-in community with 3500' turf strip and PCL. I've got time in numerous singles, including a Mooney and one twin, a C310. More history, I'm an engineer, and still a few years away from retirement, which will include a trawler. I do have tons of island cruising time in the Bahamas, most all of it live aboard.

You may find that large scale boating will easily displace flying. I was able to keep both up for a few decades, but boating is winning now the race. It is wildly and viciously different.

A couple of points to make, again with my limited experience in a very different part of the world.

I would tend to reduce the importance of single vs twin. It's just not that important. You can tell the choice is not cleancut, since the arguments for both are non-ending.
Why no teak on deck? You are in the eternal dark land. Sun-not! South of Lat 30 deg, that story changes.
Spend more than 100k. You will anyway, and skip some living in greasy dust and on the hard. I see many folks living in a boatyard. Not fun. They are crappy places to live or work. And, I've done all my bottom jobs including gel coat removal and barrier coats, all solo.

Are you doing your own Mooney work? Are you very handy with large wrenches, wire crimpers, caulking guns, routers, voltmeters and chain hoists? This will be a huge transition, one that I recommend fully.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote