Whats under the teak decks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Step one would be not to dig up a seven year-old thread. :) pretty sure people that use hosted picture sites let them expire. Try starting a new thread or searching for a newer one. Good luck

Why not repair the parts that are bad and continue to enjoy your beautiful teak decks?

I didn't read all this thread but CHBs are infamous for building their structures with old packing cases, bits of wood off the beach and encapsulating it all in fibreglass. Then they drill a thousand or so holes in the fibreglass to screw down a teak deck. What could go wrong? The other thing they did, the workers were so poor, they would drill the hole and then steal the screw, place the bung in the deck hole and sell the screws in the market! Not if but when the teak decks leak, the water gets into the substrate (that's being kind) and rots the wood. The deck then loses most of its integrity and a proper fix is to pull out all that rotten crap and put in nice marine or pressure treated plywood and reglass. If you are very lucky, you will not find that the water/rot has migrated into the cabin walls, that the windows (wood framed) have never leaked and you do not need to replace all the wood in the cabin walls too. Any sign of discolouration on the interior panelling, that lovely teak joinery, you can be sure you have an issue.

While doing this job, pull all the windows and rebed them!

One way to tell about the condition of the decks is to go into the rear stateroom and take down the teak plywood that covers the upper part of the side deck. The part you can't usually see unless you are lying in bed. Shine a flashlight in there and you will see the dark rot through the fibreglass (which does not have gelcoat there). There will likely be signs of wet on this panel you have dropped because they screwed that through the fibreglass too.

Good luck, its expensive and takes a huge effort to do but if you like the boat, it will be worth it.

I must have looked at a dozen of these boats over the years, while shopping for mine. All of the "affordable' boats needed this work, the expensive ones had already had this done. You could tell if each boat had this problem immediately, don't let the broker open the doors until you are there. The mould smell tells the tale.

Last edited:
My Albins main decks were nice teak ply, not rotten even though wet.

My flybridge eas built out of teak blocks with poured polyester over them....only a flaming idiot would do that on multiple levels.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom