canopy strut corrosion soln

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Divealot

Veteran Member
I have an Albin 36 Express Trawler which has considerable corrosion of the two main rear canopy supports. They are powder coated aluminum. What is the best way to fix this professionally. I was thinking about replacing with SS which would be handy for affixing things like cranes, outboards etc... Has anyone done similar modifications or made satisfactory repair?

Albin Strut Corrosion.jpg

I would figure out how moisture is getting up under there first.

To fix, I would pull them if you can. Have them media blasted, acid etched, then epoxy primed (specific for aluminium). Fill and fair any pitting, them epoxy prime and several coats of 2 part paint :socool:

Keep the finish polished and waxed. Dull finishes are porous and if it gets porous or thin enough, water can start attacking the aluminium.

Just my free 2 cents

Not sure if water is getting in or just never has a chance to dry out. In Whittier we get about 133 rainy days producing about 185 inches per year. It only gets above 60° F a month or two and then just barely above. Usually in the 40° F range so when it is not raining it is cloudy and doesn't really get a chance to dry things out very well. That is why I was thinking of replacing with a tube type structure which sits on sacrificial spacers which would permit good drainage and could be replaced periodically when corrosion set in. I really like your idea. I was just brainstorming how to prevent it happening again. Of course it has lasted since 2004 so not a real issue. Some day it would be nice if someone would build a boat that could get wet.

Read Steve D'Antonio on painted aluminum corrosion.

My thought is that the problem could be solved in place by cleaning up the affected area, and re-painting.

Aluminum has special procedures for paint preperation. Follow those procedures and enjoy your boat.

Yes :) I know what Whittier is like. I "lived" there for 6 years week on week off commissioning and then maintaining one of the the Submarine Fiber terminals located there.

Wow, Dive! That's what I call a challenging environment.

A welded pipe arrangement similar to what you would find on a Grady White might look pretty good if you were determined to change that design.

A welded pipe arrangement similar to what you would find on a Grady White might look pretty good if you were determined to change that design.

I think I will replace it with a simple SS post like those on Mainship trawlers.

9k=

I tried to upload this picture of a Mainship rear post design I think would be almost maintenance free.

untitled.png

That looks pretty good, simple. This is not a Grady but I thought something like this:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 7.17.38 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-09-25 at 7.17.38 PM.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 52
My experience says prime the surface at very first opportunity, before oxidization can occur.
Maybe before removing the old finish would be soon enough.:)
It`s a challenge.

What ever you end up installing, ground it to your engine block.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom