Music favs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don- Truly a moment!! Both movies. Back when the film industry produced human interest tales, portrayed history to a better degree. Clean, humor, heroes, brave souls, women respected, As it is said, times are a changing, but the music was better back then.
Thanks
Al

The sign in the window
said for sale or trade
on the last remaining dinosaur
that Detroit made
$700.00 was a heck of a deal
for a 400 horse power
jukebox on wheels

You gotta love those lyrics.

While I'm in a travelling mood are there any other 'Streamers out there (except for Bruce)?

One more tonight, and I promise that's all.

I don't think John Anderson has made an appearance here. I particularly like the fiddle that is made to almost sound like an Indian flute.

:smitten::flowers:Let's go down to the Twist and Shout with Mary Chapin Carpenter for a little Cajun dance hall music.

I guess you can tell I luv, luv, luv that gal. :smitten::flowers:

Last edited:
Al, there are a few good movie sound tracks today. I think this one sets the mood of this movie.

and the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain version.

One of my early memories is sitting on the back porch when I was maybe eight and hearing this amazing song on the radio by Jackie Wilson . . . an absolute vocal athlete. What he does with the final few bars is almost surreal. This live version demonstrates that it was all Jackie, not a bunch of studio effects.

One of the great voices from the past, Ian. I would really like to hear that in a remastered version. We had some good ones in our time. Sam Cook. Johnn Mathis, Nat King Cole and Marvin Gaye come to mind. Sam and Marvins' lives ended in violence much too soon. Thanks.

Thanks to you, Don, for starting this great thread. Here's one of my favorite bands of the early 60s, when folk groups were still included at "pop" shows. Hard to imagine a stand up bass on the same stage as the Beatles, Stones and Kinks but that was then. I'd never heard any live recordings of the Seekers until recently (there's actually a lot out there) and was blown away by the power of their lead vocalist, Judith Durham. For a tiny little thing, she could really bring it, especially near the end of "A World of Our Own."

In an effort to distract myself from Nevada here is a great old country tune from simpler times. My mother brought Gunfighter Ballads home one day when I was nine and I was immediately hooked on Marty Robbins. My only complaint about this live version is that you can hear, but not see, Grady Martin playing those phenomenal lead guitar riffs and fills.

With the passing of Tom Petty, this is one of my favorites of his from the Traveling Wilburys. Ironically the video is a tribute to their recently deceased member, Roy Orbison.

https://youtu.be/cwqhdRs4jyA

Ted

Ted, there was a load of talent in the Travelling Wilburys. It had to be an honor to be selected to be in the group. RIP, Tom Petty.

Don't believe old Ernie Ford has been mentioned. He could do a gospel as well as any:

My parents had this album, and my Dad, who had a great bass voice sang many of these songs in our Baptist church or with a pretty decent gospel quartet that toured the local area singing at homecomings or monthly “gospel sings”on Sunday afternoons.

Good times as a kid, sometimes sneaking a nap on the back pew, or trying to steal a kiss from the preachers daughter when nobody was looking [emoji41]. Tennessee Ernie Ford gospel, and some other classics like “16 tons” are a part of who I am!

My parents had this album, and my Dad, who had a great bass voice sang many of these songs in our Baptist church or with a pretty decent gospel quartet that toured the local area singing at homecomings or monthly “gospel sings”on Sunday afternoons.

Good times as a kid, sometimes sneaking a nap on the back pew, or trying to steal a kiss from the preachers daughter when nobody was looking [emoji41]. Tennessee Ernie Ford gospel, and some other classics like “16 tons” are a part of who I am!

Jerry, I think Tennessee Ernie has appeared earlier on this thread. Nonetheless, thanks for that reminder. Of course, being born and raised in Tennessee TEF was a standard around our home. Like your father, my father sang second tenor in a few Gospel quartets. Well, unlike you I was busy keeping the preachers' sons from praying or preying upon my sisters.:D

Last edited:
Jerry, I think Tennessee Ernie has appeared earlier on this thread. Nonetheless, thanks for that reminder. Of course, being born and raised in Tennessee TEF was a standard around our home. Like your father, my father sang second tenor in a few Gospel quartets. Well, unlike you I was busy keeping the preachers' sons from praying or preying upon my sisters.:D

Lol, what’s funny about Ernie Ford is that most of his later life he lived in Portola Valley, Ca a very wealthy little town in the foothills of the San Francisco peninsula. His kids went o my high school and people used to give him rides home from one of the local bars and leave his keys in his mail box. He’s interred in Palo Alto, CA, so basically Silicon Valley. All LOVED him as a neighbor

I don't think we have anything by the Travelling Wilburys. Then again I seem to remember a posting by them, but can't find it. I think you will recognize some familiar faces in the group. This is a little tribute to one of their members who had passed on, Roy Orbison. Tom Petty also passed away earlier this month. RIP, Roy and Tom.

Last edited:
Sad that only Dylan and Jeff Lynne remain from that amazing band. Lynne is a genius arranger, a co-founder of the Electric Light Orchestra and a staple on live mega-concerts like Dylan's 50th and George Harrison's memorium.

Last year he put together a new ELO and gave a concert in Hyde Park that turned out to be a sensation. Here's a sample:

I don't think we have anything by the Travelling Wilburys. Then again I seem to remember a posting by them, but can't find it. I think you will recognize some familiar faces in the group. This is a little tribute to one of their members who had passed on, Roy Orbison. Tom Petty also passed away earlier this month.

Memory fading? Post #551 + #552

Ted

Sorry, Ted. I saw that Tom Petty had passed away, and thought of it. I did seem to remember that it was posted somewhere, but overlooked it. Memory fading? You betcha. They say that's the second or third thing to go. I can't remember which.:confused: It's not easy being me.

A little different version of John Denver's Take Me Home Country Roads. Here's Playing for Change.

Here's probably the best bar song ever. Most will know the words. Garth Brooks needs no introduction.

I seem to be in a country mood.

Moving farther West here is George Strait and Amarillo by Morning.

Last edited:
I see that Garth Brooks walked away with the entertainer of the year award at the 2017 Country Music Awards.:thumb:

Another, Rodeo themed, by George Strait

Good one, Steve. George Strait's straight ahead style and clear voice make for a great song. :thumb:

Let's hear a number from Arlo Guthrie that seems appropriate for times like these.

How about another from one of the great popular recording groups of all time, Fleetwood Mac. Here is Stevie Nicks featured on Dreams.

Here's another from Stevie Nicks that is from a much later period. Let's just say that she suffered from "life style" problems. Still, however, she was an amazing talent. You may recognize the main drummer on this one. There is some disagreement over who this song is about. Here she is with Sara.

Changing gears, some here may remember this. Here are the Andrews Sisters.

And how about the dean of the big band sound, Glenn Miller. This from the 1941 movie Sun Valley Serenade.

Great old classics, Don. Since you opened this era, here’s a fun song by Bea Wain, who died two months ago at age 100. The lyrics are clever and even a bit risqué for that time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom