05 MS400 - transmission oil cooler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ssurabus

Veteran Member
Hi,

I have an 05 with twin 240's. Looks like I need to replace the transmission coolers. I don't think it's a Yanmar part. Has anybody done this and have a part number/supplier. I don't see any identifiers on the coolers. Maybe I'll find something in the transmission documentation when I get back to the boat, but was hoping to do some research into price/supplier this week.

Thanks for any info.
--Howie

Just out of curiosity, why do you need to replace the coolers? I have the same boat and motors.

I replaced the engine/gen zincs yesterday. It is tough on those coolers to get the plugs not to weep. I finally got it sealed, but noticed there was still a small drip coming off the drain plug underneath. After a half hour of convincing myself that it was not the zinc plug or drain plug I realized that the cooler body itself in the vicinity of the seam near the ends was weeping. Wrapping that section of the cooler with paper towel caused leak to stop, so fairly comfortable with my diagnosis. I'm going to wrap it with stretchy tape to get through the once or twice more that I'll use the boat and either replace or have the yard replace over winter.

Lenco, Sendure and others make generic coolers that should fit. That is probably where Mack Boring got your originals. Buy the cupronickel ones.

David

You might scan through the MS parts to see if you find a match.
The MS parts sticky in the Marlow - Mainship section provides instructions and links

Another, cheaper solution is to pull the cooler and take to a radiator shop. Have them clean, test, and weld if necessary to fix any leaks. Have done it many times and saved some coolers to live long lives afterwards. You gotta pull the coolers anyway, check on repairing. Otherwise, go online to find your cooler. I have found the exact cooler made by someone you wouldn't think was a marine provider.

Another, cheaper solution is to pull the cooler and take to a radiator shop. Have them clean, test, and weld if necessary to fix any leaks. Have done it many times and saved some coolers to live long lives afterwards. You gotta pull the coolers anyway, check on repairing. Otherwise, go online to find your cooler. I have found the exact cooler made by someone you wouldn't think was a marine provider.

This.

I had my oil coolers pulled and serviced in the spring as part of my 1,000 service. Took them to a local shop who soda blasted, boiled and painted them for $125 each. Heat exchangers were $150 each.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom