IN CAV conversion parts? Firefly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firstbase

Guru
Vessel Name
Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42' Classic
Looking to convert the Adelphi CAV onboard filters (FL SP135's) to spin on. Searched in here and everywhere and can't narrow down on where to get the conversion/adapter parts or even what the parts are, numbers, etc. Old links are dead, "ABC" where people seemed to have gotten them is dead, Parker doesn't seem to sell online.... Mr. Firefly, I come across old thread and know you were going to convert back in the day...can ya hep' a brother out?

Amazon has DP1000 adapters. They appear to be like the ABC adapters.

Greetings,
Mr. f. Alas, like a lot of my plans, conversion of the filter system has yet to be attempted. I vaguely recall voicing my intentions to do so but never got around to it. The only thing that may help is I think conversion kits were available at hot rod shops. This may have been the ABC kits which, as you found out, are now gone.

While I still think changing the CAV elements is a PIA, I was able to breeze through a change earlier in this season. NO idea why it seemed so easy other than I held my tongue just so and I didn't spill fuel all over or drop anything irretrievably into the darkness.

Thanks. I changed them earlier this year and it went well but seemed much more complicated than it has to be. What I don't like is that I can't tell what shape they are in without taking apart. I guess looking at my Racor's gives me an idea? I have 30 mic Racors as primaries and then the "5-10 mic" secondaries. Thats how the CAV's were described to me. I am a little more focused on this situation as the boat had a pretty bad load of fuel when I bought it. Would rather be able to reach over, change the filter and go. The CAV's make that more difficult which generally translates to doesn't get done. Plus it seems like they have many more leak/failure points...

Greetings,
Mr. f. I tend to agree that level of difficulty somewhat determines position on the "to do" list and I really can't remember when, previous to the most recent change out of the CAV's, they were done last. May have been upwards of 3-5 years ago. They "appeared" to be pretty clean although I did not do an autopsy.

I use 2 micron on both the primary and secondary filters simply due to the fact that the CAV's are more bothersome to change and I figure the longer I can "protect" them with 2 micron, pre-filtered fuel, the better. My Racor filters have never exhibited any degree of contamination but I'm just guessing at the condition of the CAV's.

I believe your posts regarding converting were 2010 or so. I'm not experienced enough to be comfortable with guessing on things. With my primaries being 30mic it would seem I have to be a little more cautious. I have a few of the 30 mic filters left from the PO but when they run out I am going to take it down a notch or to...probably to 10 mic. I will probably change the CAV's again this winter just to see whats up. All of this may be much ado about nothing but again..newb....learning.

Hi guys.
You can buy 'off the shelf' conversion kits from CAV split filters to the 'Spin On' type, they are not expensive, simply undo the fuel lines, undo the two securing nuts/bolt and replace and re-assemble 35 minutes job.
You can buy them online at ASAP Supplies, co.uk, check out the online catalogue.

I highly recommend you go a little stage further and buy the conversion kit with a built in button priming pump.
When changing the new 'spin on' fuel filters, run the engine up until its warm, stop it, remove the old spin on filter (catching any spills in a plastic bag).
Fill the new filter with diesel, spin on carefully and start the engine, run it up to about 800/900 rpm and vigorously pump the button on the filter housing head until the engine runs smoothly.. If you get it right there's no bleeding, no spills and the jobs far far easier.

I replaced my double filters on my Lehman with a remote, bulkhead mounted Racor 500. I had dedicated fuel lines made up and used a 2 micron filter in it. You can see the condition in the bowl but because it was behind a dedicated pair (alternating) Racors I think I only ever changed the new filter once for pure curiosity but it was like new. Also when I installed it I ran fuel through the new lines.

I was concerned that the Racor was downstream from the lift pump and therefore the flow was under a bit of pressure but I ran the engine at wot a number of times and it worked fine, there isn't much pressure. Also I remote mounted it for ease of cleaning/ changing filters and I was unsure how the Racor would like the vibration of the Lehman. I still have the silly CAV filters in my garage crap, this reminds me I will toss them out in the recycle.

Sorry Irish, we posted the same time.

The lift pump has a priming lever too so you already have a pump in that area but still excellent advice. I did have a little electric rattle pump for the first set of Racors.

Last edited:
Check out the price between the 2 systems.
I'm not a fan of Raccor as I feel they are overpriced for doing what is essentially the same job.

Definitely the same job, I just like the clear bowl and the ease of changing filters. Cleaning the bowl, however, is a giant pita, they dropped the (bowl?) ball on that part of the design.

Parker is definitely the high-cost option, I just priced hydraulic plate coolers from them and they were double or more what everybody else was selling.

I haven't compared prices on these filter systems, in fact I sold the boat a few years ago, just saying what worked for me instead of the silly original design.

Are you back in Narbonne? I sure cherish the memories of my time in the canals there; it was great to meet you and your lovely wife and share your pizza! I miss the market too, we pay stupid prices for cheese and olives etc. in Canada and the silly government won't let us have cheeses made with unpasteurized milk...mmmm cheese...

One of our options is to sell up and buy a canal boat to explore Europe. If we do take that plunge I'll be in touch!

Last edited:
Definitely the same job, I just like the clear bowl and the ease of changing filters. Cleaning the bowl, however, is a giant pita, they dropped the (bowl?) ball on that part of the design.

Parker is definitely the high-cost option, I just priced hydraulic plate coolers from them and they were double or more what everybody else was selling.

I haven't compared prices on these filter systems, in fact I sold the boat a few years ago, just saying what worked for me instead of the silly original design.

Are you back in Narbonne? I sure cherish the memories of my time in the canals there; it was great to meet you and your lovely wife and share your pizza! I miss the market too, we pay stupid prices for cheese and olives etc. in Canada and the silly government won't let us have cheeses made with unpasteurized milk...mmmm cheese...

One of our options is to sell up and buy a canal boat to explore Europe. If we do take that plunge I'll be in touch!

Are you sure about this? We have tons of cheese made with raw unpasteurized milk here. But I agree cheese pricing is ridiculously high.

About your CAV filter don't toss that to recycle, this can be spare part for me!

L

Last edited:
I was just about to order two of the DP1000 adapters for the dual cav unit on my Perkins T6.3544. But then realized I only have about 4.5 inches clearance under the filter base. The adapter would probably take up around an inch of that, and likely would not be able to find a spin on filter short enough to be able to get in there. Didn't want to reroute all those pipes, guess I'll leave it be and stay with the CAV setup.

The CAV conversion filter heads I mentioned in my earlier post are no different in size than the original CAV heads, even with the button pump built in. KIS.
Checkout the catalogue of ASAP Supplies at asapsupplies.co.uk.

I could not find on ASAP's website that they offered the twin filter setup for spin on filters, only the single. I'll send them an email, thanks.

Have you contacted American Diesel? Maybe they have or know of a conversion to spin ons.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom