Leaking Zippers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timjet

Guru
Anyone know of a way to stop leaking zippers? The eisenglass on my helm has many zippers and a couple of them leak badly when it rains.

We had a similar problem when we bought the Manatee. What we found was the zippers were just worn out due to age or not being lubricated or both. We replaced the zippers and that fixed it for us.

timjet wrote:
Anyone know of a way to stop leaking zippers? The eisenglass on my helm has many zippers and a couple of them leak badly when it rains.
*Tim I use beeswax on my zippers.* It will lubricate and do a little water proofing.* At any rate it makes a good lubricant.

Try stick paraffin wax.* It also works on any seams or stitch lines that leak.

-- Edited by Larry M on Sunday 4th of September 2011 02:29:39 PM

Velcro flap on the outside?

Moonstruck wrote:timjet wrote:
*Tim I use beeswax on my zippers.* It will lubricate and do a little water proofing.* At any rate it makes a good lubricant.

*Ditto.

Thanks guys, I'll try the beeswax or paraffin wax. The zippers and eisenglass are only a year old.

I use Starbrite snap and zipper lube on my zippers. I don't have any where a leak would be a real problem, but there is usually a canvas flap that covers the zipper on the outside and that prevents water from getting to the zipper in the first place.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom