Stupidity incarnated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lou_tribal

Guru
Vessel Name
Bleuvet
Vessel Make
Custom Built
Today was a very nice hot day and end of September month it is just a blessing up here. We departed from the marina with wife and parents visiting from France. Target was a small marina not far from our favorite anchorage so my aging parents could sleep in an nice nearby hotel room while we stay aboard ( yes we keep the best for us lol).
Mid way there is a well known sand bank starboard where people anchor and swim, and as a hot sunny day, there was a hell lot of people anchored there.
I spotted a cruiser on starboard that was setting up a towing with little kids on an inflatable seat so moved a bit on port to give them room. Boat on port were slowing down because of the traffic. I was around 15 meters port from the towing boat when suddenly heard a roaring noise, looked behind and saw a big, 35 to 40 feet long, speedboat going full throttle at what I think was at least 30 knots that decided to pass starboard between me and the towing boat. This ******* (sorry for my language but I know no name except this for this prick) went 6 feet from two kids sitting on an inflatable seat at 30knots. Cannot imagine what would have been the carnage if he just made a mistake of handling.
Some people just does not deserve to be born...

L

That's why it's far safer to cruise only on cloudy, rainy days!:facepalm:
See there is a method to my madness!:dance:

Yeah, me too I like cloudy chilly days, stupid cruisers stay at the dock and I have the river for myself. :)

L

On a more serious note.....when I ran a small bowrider and had kids...the entire ocean was divided up into two zones. Where it was safe to tow my kids, and where it wasn't. Don't get me wrong... I LOVE the rafting up, lots of boats, total chaos of a boatable beaching area. Its fun for everyone.....but there is no way in hell that I would put my kids on a tube there. In fact, the first thing we always did when we got there, was to talk about safe swim areas....and they were limited to areas where moving boats couldn't go.

I don't want to diminish the errors of the speedboat in this discussion, but as a parent/captain.....it is protocol to assume the average boater is an idiot and act accordingly. The entertainment value of stupidity is massive, if you are not in danger.

Even if the kids would have not been there this guy was just a jerk. There were something like 30 boats on the sand 30 feet from his trajectory, I just cannot imagine what would have happened if he would have lost control...

L

Me neither! Definition of boating hell!

Lou, imagine what a jerk that boat operator is like in everyday life. It`s fortunate everyone came out of it ok.
Behavior like that on Sydney Harbor led to relocating my boat 20 miles N in a better location, where most boaters behave a whole lot better, and you get a friendly wave of the hand instead of a bad pass and a deep wake.

Today was a very nice hot day and end of September month it is just a blessing up here. We departed from the marina with wife and parents visiting from France. Target was a small marina not far from our favorite anchorage so my aging parents could sleep in an nice nearby hotel room while we stay aboard ( yes we keep the best for us lol).
Mid way there is a well known sand bank starboard where people anchor and swim, and as a hot sunny day, there was a hell lot of people anchored there.
I spotted a cruiser on starboard that was setting up a towing with little kids on an inflatable seat so moved a bit on port to give them room. Boat on port were slowing down because of the traffic. I was around 15 meters port from the towing boat when suddenly heard a roaring noise, looked behind and saw a big, 35 to 40 feet long, speedboat going full throttle at what I think was at least 30 knots that decided to pass starboard between me and the towing boat. This ******* (sorry for my language but I know no name except this for this prick) went 6 feet from two kids sitting on an inflatable seat at 30knots. Cannot imagine what would have been the carnage if he just made a mistake of handling.
Some people just does not deserve to be born...

L

Some people are nutters when they are on the water. However I guess it is no difference the same nutters that are driving on the road. The only up side is, there are less nutters on the water then on the road!

Cheers.

H.

"That's why it's far safer to cruise only on cloudy, rainy days!:facepalm:"

Airline drivers feel the same way , a rotten day keeps the amateurs home.

Lou, imagine what a jerk that boat operator is like in everyday life. It`s fortunate everyone came out of it ok.
Behavior like that on Sydney Harbor led to relocating my boat 20 miles N in a better location, where most boaters behave a whole lot better, and you get a friendly wave of the hand instead of a bad pass and a deep wake.

It is unfortunate that our police patrol only goes out when there is almost nobody on the river while they should be there during crowded days like yesterday.

L

"That's why it's far safer to cruise only on cloudy, rainy days!:facepalm:"

Airline drivers feel the same way , a rotten day keeps the amateurs home.

Usually at this time of the year it is a lot colder and almost nobody is out on the water and we love it. Yesterday was one of the last hot day before the end of the season so people get excited and start to act stupid.

L

Yes, RCMP. When I post without periods the site removed rhe capital letters.

It didn't do it this time!

I would NEVER have thought this behaviour possible of Canadians/-iens!

I agree with 'Tongue-tied', turn him in, should, Heaven forfend, there be a next time.

checkbook captains

Yes, RCMP. When I post without periods the site removed rhe capital letters.

It didn't do it this time!

The OP would not immediately think of calling the RCMP, as that sort of complaint would go to the SQ, Sûreté du Québec, the Provincial (National) Police force.

Reminds me of the time I was on a sailboat in the Bahamas...we were diving--had the dive flag up--and some idiot ran a power boat between a diver from our boat and the sailboat...the diver was, thankfully, deep enough to not be affected, but that's not the point. Crazy.

I was once headed south on the AICW near Wrightsville Beach, NC at my usual 7 knots with a lot of other boat traffic going both ways when I spotted a guy towing two girls on a raft heading towards me at high speed. The channel there is pretty narrow and the depth on each side is just a couple feet so I couldn't move out of the channel. I stopped my boat and the guy continued straight at me. I blew my horn and he finally moved to my port side but of course the tube didn't, it continued straight towards me. At the last minute, the girls screamed and jumped off the tube. The tube barely missed my boat.

Stupidity can be found everywhere. There are no boating skill tests and no common sense requirements. Sitting still, I was almost involved in a boating accident.

A couple years later at the same spot, three guys on paddleboards decided to try to cross the river in traffic. One made it, one chickened out and the other ended up swimming in the water between two moving boats.

Ya lucky. I get people like this all day long on my local lake. Had 4 boats come off plane from all 4 corners right next to me on labor day weekend. Created a 3 foot high rogue wake right infront of me bringing water over the bow of my lil bass boat.

Some people really just dont know better.

Weekends are the worst. And mid afternoon and early evening the worst part of the weekend.

However, I'll be out later today, but might do all my boating out of the ICW to avoid traffic.

One of my pet peeves, is when some one just stops or slows a lot, to a crawl, and you can't figure out what they will do, and they won't talk on the radio. Had one of those the other day... I was ready to dock, and he came between me and the dock, slow as molasses. He finally turned into one of the slips and made a feeble attempt at docking, with the wind blowing him sideways and out of the slip. I just circled until it was over.

Imagine being a professional captain of intracoastal tugs or assistance towing.

What would your opinion and actions be?

Dealing with way more boat than most drive here, and doing it day after day, mile after mile....

Then when a barge finally clips a recreational boat, not only does the USCG crucify the captain, a lot on here seem to want blood too..

Think long and hard on that one.

If there was an IQ test before conception, the human race wouldn't exist today...
Right on, there is more care taken in breeding pedigree dogs than humans.

The OP would not immediately think of calling the RCMP, as that sort of complaint would go to the SQ, Sûreté du Québec, the Provincial (National) Police force.

Well the issue is I would know what to say to the police patrol except that I saw a red lightning strike going like hell in the middle of a crowded area. With its speed and the water shower in his back I did not even had time to notice any mark on the hull.

Today on my way back had another example, maybe the brother of the other prick. Was about to cross the bridge just before my marina, a trawler in front was crossing too, he slowed down to reduce his wake (mine is very small even at my cruising amazing speed of 7 knots lol), when I saw the guy pointing something in front of him. Just had the time to turn my head to watch a 30 feet cruiser coming full speed between us 2, and of course right at the moment we were between the bridge piles... another example of a bright mind...

L

Many of these issues would be taken care of by mandatory boater training and licensing.

I'm not talking about a six hour classroom safety course although that is a step in the right direction, I'm talking about the safety course and "X" number of hours on the water, in a boat, with an instructor.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom