Cruising the Scandinavian way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

r-rossow

Vessel Name
Southern Promise MMSI 258170360
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 55 Mk1
In my country we have what is called "allemannsretten" (translates roughly to "freedom to roam"). Allemansretten gives anybody the right to trespass and even camp for 2 days on uncultivated/undeveloped land. (I believe this is the opposite of the US where you can get shot for trespassing?). This is an ancient right found in several of the Nordic countries.
For boaters this means you can tie up (for a maximum of 2 days) and venture ashore on any beach or land on uncultivated/undeveloped land, privately owned or publicly owned.
Daily tide heights in southeastern Norway and most of Sweden range from about a foot down to nothing. Weather systems have a bigger influence and can bring the general level up or down a few feet.
This part of the coast is littered with thousands upon thousands of larger or smaller islands and skerries. In strong onshore winds you will easily find shelter behind an island.* On many islands or rocks the water depth is 5 - 10 feet right up to the face of the island.* What this all boils down to is that boaters "dock" to islands. Most people prefer to drop a stern anchor and then motor slowly bow-in. Many boats have a recessed bow pulpit and a removable bow ladder is a part of the standard cruising kit.* To secure bow lines, people use "rock anchors". These are purpose made hot dipped steel wedges with a ring on top to secure your lines to. The wedges are driven down with a hammer into cracks in the rock surface.* In popular mooring areas sometimes the Park Commissions even have permanently installed steel bolts for boaters.
As my wife has knee trouble, she is not able to climb over the bow and the down. We always find a cliff or rock that will fit us alongside.* The trick is to find a suitable cliff or ledge*that looks like a pier. We first slowly go bow-in to visually check the depth and look for any rock formations that protrude below sea level. If OK, we back out, prepare fenders and lines and then go in as if it was like any dock. When alongside, I jump ashore, drive home "rock anchors", set spring, bow and stern lines. Done.
When all set, we enjoy an "anchor dram". This is a Scandinavian tradition of having a shot of Aquavit (The Linie Aquavit *is my favorite) or other shot drink after having docked or anchored. I have even seen people moving their dock lines from one mooring post to another just to claim having anchored and subsequently claim rights for an "anchor dram".

1: "Anchor kit" ready for deployment
2: Wedge driven home. Line secured
3: Bolt installed by Park Commision
4: Fender for below sea level formations
5: At rest
6: From above
7: Bow view. Other boats also alongside this small island
8: Stern view
9: Fenders
10: Ledge
11: From the dink
12: Panorama mode on my cell camera
13: Panorama mode on my cell camera
14: Panorama mode on my cell camera
15: Panorama mode on my cell camera
16: Boats bow-in to other islands
17: Anchor dram

-- Edited by r-rossow on Thursday 1st of September 2011 06:52:57 AM

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 10c.jpg
    10c.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 10b.jpg
    10b.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 10a.jpg
    10a.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 9a.jpg
    9a.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 61
r-rossow:

Thanks for introducing a style of boating that is quite "foreign" to most of us in the Pacific North West coasts of British Columbia and Southeast Alaska.* There is nothing like taking advantage of what Mother Nature offers you, to make a boater feel a part of his/her surroundings.

I have used a big old wooden wedge hammered into a crevice of a cliff, above Low Water level, as a shore tie, but the regular anchor is deployed in good stiff mud, further offshore.* I am looking forward to trying some of your Scandanavian "tricks" for cooperating with Ma Nature, but I have the feeling I will be getting back to you for further advice.*
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the pics.

OS

WOW!* That is the neatest thing I've heard in a long time.** Those are great traditions, and the country is beautiful.* Tell us more.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Thursday 1st of September 2011 08:31:52 AM

Fascinating.*

Last trip out I found just such a natural dock. I even pulled up to it to pick up the shore party. I may try anchoring up to it as the gold mine I was looking for is near by.

Thanks I really enjoyed reading your post.

SD

Very nice, and thank you!* One day we hope to return Delfin to her native Norway for a visit, and it looks like I will need some additional equipment.

One correction.* In the U.S. we don't shoot trespassers.* That would be uncivilized.**Here in the Northwest we deal with them using chain saws.

Terrific post!

Leave it to the Norwegians, huh! My ancestor, capt. Jacob Powelson, brought his ship (Fredenburg) to New Sweden (now Delaware) in 1638. We later changed the spelling of Powelson to Poulson but the connection with the captain is well documented.

Attachments

• capt powelson copy.jpg
    capt powelson copy.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 64
(I believe this is the opposite of the US where you can get shot for trespassing?)

In case you were serious. Yes, a trespasser might*get shot, but not legally.
Steve W.

-- Edited by Steve on Saturday 3rd of September 2011 08:55:14 AM

* You are so lucky.

r-rossow,

I could probably do that here. Picture in Blake Channel just SE of Wrangell Alaska.

Attachments

• sth71714.jpg
    sth71714.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 73

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom