New PC or iPad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dvd wrote:
We also had an IPad on board which was equally useless outside.
*This is one of the main reasons that, for a book reader, we chose a Kindle over an iPad.* The brighter the light around you gets, the easier it is to read the Kindle.* On a plane ride last November I was reading a Kindle, the fellow across from me was reading a book on his iPad.* The window seat woman in my row opened her window shade and the blast of sunlight that came through put an end to iPad man's reading.* But it simply made the Kindle page even more clear.

I must say I'm very impressed with the brightness of the screen on the Standard Horizon chartplotter we bought earlier this year for our small boat.* Even in bright light it is very readable.* This photo was taken on an overcast day, but a pretty bright overcast.

Attachments

• cp190i 2.jpg
    cp190i 2.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 52
Marin wrote:On a plane ride last November *.... the fellow across from me was reading a book on his iPad.* The window seat woman in my row opened her window shade and the blast of sunlight that came through put an end to iPad man's reading. *
Marin
I have to laugh, on a recent flight on a 737-600 from Vancouver, BC to Toronto; there were about 100 teenage exchange students from Taiwan on board.* A few minutes after take-off, we climbed out above the cloud layer into the brilliant sun light, within minutes the students were all huddled heads under their blankets playing their video games. LOL

-- Edited by Edelweiss on Sunday 28th of August 2011 12:12:53 PM

So we're off shore New Jersey heading south (New England to Chesapeake) when my Garmin 2010C quit reading the Blue Chart. It had the base map, but no chart data. I pulled my Mac up onto the bridge and rigged up a cardboard sunshade. Although not easy, it was readable and I sure liked it's functionality. We used it for the next several days until reaching home port. Really glad I had it onboard as a back-up. Wish I could find a primary chartplotter and display with as much to offer.

Attachments

• mac.jpg
    mac.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 49
I think you have hit upon it David. *Maybe you can patent your sunshade and make a fortune? *It will be like the old days of early radars with a cone viewing tube over the display.

So what did you find was the problem with your Garmin bluechart data?

Larry B

Even with the shade, visibility of the screen was marginal. Also, the weather was good, so I didn't have to expose my computer too much to the elements. I have looked into all-weather monitors (thinking I could keep the computer below) but they're $2-3K, so might as well buy a full function chartplotter for that money.

Apparently, a bad data card is the problem. The PO had the card (old proprietary Garmin format) for 10 years but never installed the charts. All indications were that the data downloaded OK, but nothing showed up. I have no idea how to check that memory card since it doesn't read in the only device that will accept it (my 2010C). A replacement card for the Chesapeake area would be $130-160.

I'm back to the decision point of keeping the 2010C with its old card format versus upgrading. I see that Standard Horizon dropped their prices by about 50% on the CP590. That is really tempting.

dvd

-- Edited by dvd on Monday 5th of September 2011 06:38:45 AM

dvd wrote:*
I'm back to the decision point of keeping the 2010C with its old card format versus upgrading. I see that Standard Horizon dropped their prices by about 50% on the CP590. That is really tempting.

dvd

-- Edited by dvd on Monday 5th of September 2011 06:38:45 AM
I hear you!! *The manufactures keep upgrading their units every year, so your new plotter is obsolete in one year. *Like PC's, the product support for your data format also goes away in two or three years as well. *You end up on Ebay trying to buy map updates in a format that your plotter can read.

I was just looking at WMJ Marine, they have a Garmin 4212 (factory reconditioned) for $1600, 12" display, full warranty, the best price I've seen so far. *Used units run around $2100.

The good, the bad and the ugly of PC sunshades.

For reasons listed elsewhere, I am a PC guy.* If you have the budget for large format dedicated sunlight viewable displays, go for it.* If not, here was my workaround as constructed by TAP Plastics.

Send a*e-mail for a pdf of the specs.* The hood fits a small format laptop, in my case, a 12.5" x 9" HP Pavillion.* I use a car adapter plugged in on the flybridge so that the screen is bright enough to read.

cheers

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 38
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 40
Marin wrote:Baker wrote:
...but the hang up is mounting them...in order for them to be a class 1 device is the ability to mount them.
Don't know about Airbus planes since they have their sidestick over there*but on our planes the iPad can simply mount where we put the EFB today.* I shouldn't think it would be difficult to design a mount that will keep the regulatory agencies happy while allowing the easy attachment and removal of an iPad.

The far greater concern to me is that do I want to fly on a plane when I know the flight crew is going to be up there all engrossed in Facebook and stuff*instead of paying attention to what the plane's doing.

That dog-and-a-man flight crew is starting to look like a good idea more and more.... :)

*Well I am not totally clear on this but it seems we will be the first to employ electronic charts as well thru a Jepp App...I forgot the name. *Still don't know how they will be mounted. *I *know you make it seem simple but it is never simple(or cheap) when the FAA is involved. *I think the mentioned $20k for the mount is likely on the cheap side. *Our main display units(LCD???) are $130k!!!!....for a TV screen. *Anyway, blah blah....

Back
Top Bottom