Lehman air filter substitution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daddyo

Guru
Vessel Name
Grace
Vessel Make
DeFever 48
I found myself in a bind recently needing two Lehman 120 air filters. On a whim I got two Shopvac foam filter sleeves and tried them out. Wouldn't you know they are a perfect fit!! You only need to trim the length with a scissor if you want a factory fit! Cost about $4 bucks each and available everywhere!

Recently the foam sock over my Lehman 120 air filter disintegrated, and I was sick of replacing it, which is a messy job anyway, and I suspect it was not a terrible efficient set-up as well. I thought of adapting the upper and lower plates with metal rods/nuts to compress between them a drum type paper filter, like Darrell (Baltimore Lurker) recently described, (an elegant solution I admit, and more environmentally responsible to boot), but then decided what the heck, and I went to Auto-Barn and got a large truck diesel engine pod filter I saw in their catalogue. They had one with the exact 70mm diameter mount, and it just cir-clipped straight on. I thought about trying to drill a hole in the top to plug in the tube from the rocker-cover breather vent, then decided the complexity that would introduce would outweigh the tiny wee gesture to a greener environment, and just left it disconnected. If that makes me a 'bad' man, then so be it. But boy, what a nice neat and clean solution, and the engine runs beautifully.

Sounds like these shop Vac foam filters might have been another way to go, and even cheaper than what I did, though maybe not as long-lasting. What is a shop Vac exactly? Any chance of a pic or link....just in case....we might have the equivalent Down-under..?

Also known as a canister Vacuum cleaner. . . . . Remind me Peter and I'll send you one for Christmas *
evileye.gif

head-vacs.jpg

0-26282-90585-7_xlg.jpg

-- Edited by Edelweiss on Saturday 3rd of September 2011 09:18:38 PM

Thanks Larry, that would certainly work for my set-up. Well, I've kept the original cleaner intake frame, rocker cover vent tube and all, so if I become disillusioned with my pod filter solution, I now know about an easy cheap alternative.
I'm sure we must have canister vacs like that.

My air cleaner, dry pod style, is still working just great.

Back
Top Bottom