Old 09-19-2017, 01:44 PM   #10
S41
Veteran Member

City: Puget Sound
Vessel Model: Currently boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_E View Post
Hi All,

OK, we've established I have to get a real holding tank on the boat and get rid of the 1977 era Type 1 head. Going to do a custom installation, what size holding tank would you recommend? Our last boat (sailboat) had a 15 gallon tank and it seemed to be enough, but we never stayed on the hook like we plan to do now. Thanks for the input.

Dave
We replaced our tank when we bought our boat. We went with the same size the manufacture had put in. It is a 25 gallon tank. With two of us on the boat it will just make it a week. With visitors on board with us (5 to 6 people), it barely makes it a weekend (if that!). Having tried to get a visitors to use the head properly, I can tell you that 1 out of 5 can fathom the issues a marine head/tank system has and so far only a couple have understood how filling a tank is an issue on a weekend anchoring out. We have a brand new 42 gallon tank all ready to go in the boat this winter. It is the largest tank I can get through the floor opening into the bilge area the tank is set up for (without cutting a larger opening in the floor of the galley).

I would go with a tank larger than 40 gallons if you can get it into the area and in the space you are wanting it at. 50+ gallons would be even better if you will have any guests on board overnight at all. You will not be disappointed with a larger tank.
S41 is offline   Reply With Quote