Mainly for the North Carolina Boating Group

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nomadwilly wrote:
Wonderful Don!!! That hull is deep and heavy yes and I think it would benefit from loosing 1000#. It would be nice to get those chines up closer to the WL. My Winner is fairly light for the type and her chine is 1/4" above the WL empty boat w fuel. The more I think about it the more I think your BF is too heavy. I'd sure love to have a smaller version of her. Looks like somebody put a rather serious spray rail fwd. I'll bet the water really flies in the sloppy and nasty but prolly gobs of fun. Thanks much much for the pics and comments Don.
*Thanks, Eric.* It has been fun thinking back over my 22 years with the Blackfin.* As you know, deep Vs can tend to be a wet ride.* The Blactfin hull was patterned after the early Bertram deep Vs designed by Ray Hunt.* Great boats, but wet.* During the restoration we installed the spray rails on the chine line.* They have a little reverse cup and do a good job of turning the spray away.* I was surprised at how much lift it gave the bow.* The boat takes a little more tab now.* I also added Smart Rails to my 34 Mainship Pilot with great results.

Also, we have another couple of boats in the stable that I may tell about later.* Somebody please help me!
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Kenneth Grahame (The Wind in the Willows)

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Friday 19th of August 2011 09:19:59 AM

Here are our other two family boats.* Both Boston Whalers.* The 17' is a 1967 that we have restored twice.* The last time with new gelcoat and a Merc 90hp 4 stroke.* My sons learned to operate and ski with that boat.* My grandsons now.

The second is my son's 26' Whaler that he fishes off shore.* Great boat.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Saturday 20th of August 2011 11:20:50 AM

Attachments

• 100_0329.jpg
    100_0329.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 91
  • cimg0117.jpg
    cimg0117.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 97
The 17 Manatou (sp?) what a classic. Desegned by Ray Hunt too. There is a 20' Bertram here on the island and the owner thinks he wants to re-fit her but I know he won't and I told him he may have a buyer in me. He has a business and like most small business owners he's over extended on his time and won't ever do the refit. Prolly take 4-5hph to support her.*

Re the deep V my Winner is'nt wet but she has a bottom that's stepped laterally. The steps (about 3" wide) take the place of the usual spray rails. I think it pounds a bit more because of the flat surfaces (the steps). I remember when the Moppie won the offshore race in 1961. I designed a boat after the Ray Hunt hull but it evolved into a tri.

Moonstruck wrote:
Here are our other two family boats.* Both Boston Whalers.* The 17' is a 1967 that we have restored twice.* The last time with new gelcoat and a Merc 90hp 4 stroke.* My sons learned to operate and ski with that boat.* My grandsons now.

The second is my son's 26' Whaler that he fishes off shore.* Great boat.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Saturday 20th of August 2011 11:20:50 AM
*I had a Whaler for years and that got replaced with a larger Grady White I found for sale at our marina.* When some of my second cousins get bored with video games and TV and tell me there is nothing to do, I take 'em out Tubbs inlet.* Not marked but do-able at high tide.* After taking a few breakers over the bow while crossing the bar they suddenly don't seem so bored any more.* The lesson is get a boat (or two) and you'll never be bored, that's for sure!

Nice Stable Don! I have had 2 of those Boston Whalers also. Both were total restoration jobs. If you need the plans for the mahogany console, I may still have them (from Whaler). I Built one for one of my boats.

Sailor of Fortune wrote:
Nice Stable Don! I have had 2 of those Boston Whalers also. Both were total restoration jobs. If you need the plans for the mahogany console, I may still have them (from Whaler). I Built one for one of my boats.
*Thanks, Capt. Jack.* Please hang on to those.* The boat is iin relly good shape, now.* That can change in a few years as the grandkids use it.

We towed that boat many a mile behind our 36' trawler.* We have had allot of fun with it over the years.

Moonstruck wrote:
We towed that boat many a mile behind our 36' trawler.* We have had allot of fun with it over the years.
*Don:

Having had a 36' trawler in the past & now having a go fast boat, why the change? Has your own mortality caught up with you & you want to cover as much ground as possible or is 8 knots just boring? My wife & I really like (love?) our 32 but are seriously looking at a 48 Euro style that cruises at 18 knots. With twin Yanmars (which you have) that gives me a warmer fuzzy feeling as far as redundancy is concerned & allows another couple decent sleeping arrangements while covering more water a little faster. Back to the Yanmars (440s) I don't know anything about those engines but I think that I read somewhere that they can be problematic and require more maintenance than other engine models. (Say Cummins, which are my favorite.) I'd really appreciate your input on this matter and don't pull any punches, we are both over 21 & can take it.

For some of* our Forum members who have 32' go slow boats, this is not a knock against them. SeaHorse is probably my favorite boat of all time except now that our pets have dwindled down to one horse (and he's boarded out) we have this new found freedom and want to cruise a lot more. Here, in San Diego, we have the best weather in the world but it's a long way between neat stops for cruising. Hence, a bigger and faster boat would be much better .

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Friday 2nd of September 2011 09:49:08 AM

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Friday 2nd of September 2011 09:47:00 AM

SeaHorse II wrote:Moonstruck wrote:
*Don:

*I'd really appreciate your input on this matter and don't pull any punches, we are both over 21 & can take it.

*Walt, here goes.* We ordered the 36' Marine Trader Sedan (Europa Style) to be built to our specifications.* My sons were in school, so we were doing local cruising.* I didn't want a houseboat, so ordered the trawler.* We almost used it as a floating condo.* In fact, one of my sons lived on it in the summers while working as dockmaster at the marina.* He also worked as a hand on the dinner cruise river boat while at the University of Tennessee.* When the kids went off to college, we were free to roam again.* We bought the Blackfin and put it down on the coast for fishing and a little cruising.* We found that we were cruising it more than fishing, so bought the 34 Mainship.* Grandkids came along, and we needed more room.* That brought about the 42 Sabre.

Now for cruising, we have no problem with 8 knots if there is time.* I am now starting to take a little more time off so thinking of maybe a 48 Selene.* It would just b a little better for livaboard.* We would probably stay winters in Bahamas and summers in Maine or Chesapeake.* Just thinking.

Now, to Yanmars.* Krogen Express uses the 440 Yanmars.* Moostruck has the 500s.* The difference being the 500s have a larger block, slower turnng, and more torque.* The 440s I think are based on the block that the 370 I had in the Mainship.* They are bairly high reving engines.* To achieve an 18 knot speed, you would probably be turning around 3000 rpms.* It is my opinion that they could be a little light to push a boat that size at those speeds.* The 500s have so much torque that I have to judiciously advance the throttles.* When the turbos spool up it is almost like afterburners kicking in.* I could hurt some passengers.* Any boat owner that I let driv the boat loves to do it.* They can't believe how she just rises up on plane and takes off.

We love the speed to cover the ground that we would not be able to do otherwise.* Maybe I am trying a little to out run the grim reaper.* When he catches me I want to be smiling.
biggrin.gif

Moonstruck wrote:
We love the speed to cover the ground that we would not be able to do otherwise.* Maybe I am trying a little to out run the grim reaper.* When he catches me I want to be smiling.
biggrin.gif
******* Thanks, Don, for your treatise on my dilemma. You have a lot more water that's passed under your keel than I do and I value your council. :worship:

Not sure I deserve that, Walt.* You have certainly had much experience in boats.

Don't get me wrong about the 440 Yanmar, I just don't think anyone would run a boat that large at 18 knots very long.* I would look for about* 14-15 knot comfortable cruising speed.* That is not bad at all.* I shouldn't even be saying that, as I don't know the boat.*

About extra maintenance on a Yanmar.* Yanmar is anal about zincs.* My big blocks have 12 each.* They use allot of alloys to make the engines light.* Just change the zincs at service and use Dexcool.* Other than that, they are about the same.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Friday 2nd of September 2011 02:09:56 PM

Walt,

Ever had any thoughts about bigger and slower? Like a Willard 40? A late boat w active fins should be very comfortable and seaworthy. See the last post under Willard. "aloahboat" worked at Willard and now lives aboard down in Baha somewhere. He would probably know of any pristine W40s in your area.

nomadwilly wrote:
Ever had any thoughts about bigger and slower?
* * * ** Like Marin, I've pretty much had my fill of slower.

In my area there is no plethora of scenery to entertain one while cruising. It's open sea until you get to the next marina or island. Although navigating without eye contact with land certainly has its rewards, having the ability to make a trip well within the forecast window is preferred. (Certainly by my wife.)

Don's type of cruising really coincides with my own thoughts. Fuel be damned! It's not about how much fuel you've saved, it's about the journey and the destination. If you want to save fuel, stay home! You'll save a bunch that way.

Why is it that we concentrate so much on how much fuel we are saving in our boats & then we jump in the car and lead foot it home? Practicing good fuel conservation with respect to engine size & rpms makes more sense (to me at least) when applied to our cars than our boats. (True passagemakers excluded of course.)

End of rant. :frustrated:

Walt,

Certianly not my idea of a rant. "no plethora of scenery to entertain one while cruising" That's what made me think of an actively stabilized boat like a Willard. Wander around on your boat and relax and enterntain your guests. Have you ever been aboard a stabilized boat in 5' seas? You and your wife may love it. Just think'in.

Lots of trawler skippers are concerned about the expense of fuel. With my boat I am not and I have little money compared to most on this forum. I could live w twice that fuel burn and still not be worried about spending too much money. If I had Marin's boat I'd be runn'in at 1200rpm. But lots of trawler guys ARE worried about range. They (to some degree) think of their trawler as a passagemaker. If for no other reason but bragging power for dock talk. Bigger boat won't do it for you** ....I think. A really stabilized platform on the water probably would.
smile.gif
Just say'in.

nomadwilly wrote:
*If I had Marin's boat I'd be runn'in at 1200rpm.
*No you wouldn't because the engine temps will be*WAY too low and you'll leave a sheen of unburned fuel behind you*all the way to your destination.* 1500 is about the minimum you can run and get the temp where it should be.* The FL120 is happiest between about 1600 and 1800.

SeaHorse II wrote:
In my area there is no plethora of scenery to entertain one while cruising.
Been there, done that although in Hawaii we were at least fishing so had something to occupy our time.* But I found open ocean boating to be REALLY boring (fishing excepted).* To me the journey is the thing, not the destination but this is assuming there is something to see on the journey.* It's why I took to floatplane flying so fondly.* It's not worth dragging a Beaver on floats up much higher than 1000 feet unless you have to clear something, so most of my many hours of Beaver time have been spent*at altitudes of 1,000' AGL or lower.* Including flying up the Inside Passage to SE Alaska.* You can look at stuff when you do that, like bears on the beach and whatnot.

So I'm*with Walt given his cruising grounds.* Go fast between stuff and slow down when you get to stuff.* Actually, I'd even do that here if money was no object.* Not for the fuel but for the boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom