What's up with Manson

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sean9c

Guru
Not many retailers. Fisheries Supply here in the PNW do longer stocks them, looks like Defender Marine is trying to sell off their inventory. I know Schaefer Marine is somehow involved with Manson. Any idea what's going on?

The only anchor Fisheries Supply really supports is Rocna.

How do you figure that?
They stock, as in physically have, besides Rocna:
Danforth
Lewmar
Fortress
Forfjord
Delta
Spade
CQR

Yes but ..
I went in there about a year ago and the passageway was lined w Rocnas. Many of them chrome and 5 or 6' tall standing on end in profound display.
I went there to see a new Spade anchor. At that time I don't recal finding any Spade anchors to see.
The last time I was there the huge chrome Rocna display was gone but still not many choices were on display .. except for Rocnas. The sales guy I talked to before bragged about the huge quanity of Rocnas they were selling and made it seem like there was no point in stocking anything else.
But Fisheries Supply is only one store .. one outlet. I haven't seen WM or other stores over representing Rocna. One sizeable local store for me has mostly Claws (Lewmar) and Deltas and cheap Danforths. WM has a fairly wide selection of anchors. But a store is a store and they can stock only one brand if they choose.

Just go to another store and buy your Manson. Better yet go to the boat shows and see all major products and some you may not have seen before. And now there's always the internet. Search.
Stores choose what to stock .. you choose what to put on your boat.

Last edited:
I've used a ' traditional' Rocna (with a rollbar). A Mason Supreme and a Rocna Vulcan.

The original Rocna was part of a short recall a number of years ago. That was replaced with Manson Supreme. Those anchors were on a boat with the roller going over the top of the pulpit. My current boat has a through-pulpit design, so I went with the Rocna Vulcan.

I liked them all about equally. They all functioned exactly the same in my general anchoring conditions. We did notice about the only difference was the rocna packs more clay and mud into the V shape. It requires more cleaning with a hose. The more rounded shape of the Manson didn't do this as much.

Shrew,
Interesting input to me as I've wondered if these scoop anchors differ significantly in the bad habbit of scooping up the sea bottom. I only have experience w one scoop (Supreme) and it comes up clean most all the time for me. I've always been troubled by why a manufacturer would design an anchor specifically to dig up less of the bottom at the expense of holding power. I have only had loaded anchor problems two or three times in the US PNW. Not w a scoop either .. a Danforth. ARA designs anchors w a convex fulke for ecological reasons but it's hard for me to see much difference.

There seems to be enough concern that I suspect that there are numerous locations that anchors come up often loaded w sea bottom. I belive the PNW is not one of them however once and awhile an anchor will come up loaded w mud. Mud is after all the most common bottom. But there's probably 57 different kinds of mud.

Shrew your comments that one of your scoop anchors is much more likely to scoop up mud suggests that others have had similar expiences and perhaps w another brand. Never seen an anchor test to this end but w enough input perhaps we'll learn something.

Another anchor that may pick up a mud packed fluke is Mantus. They have metal plate edges and bolts and nuts right at the worst place ... where the fluke and shank meet. Worst place as buildup is probably more prone to happen in a concave shape. Also the fluke bottom is "V" shaped like the Rocna. And that would also be prone to compacting sticky bottom material.

A nice flat or inverted "V" like a SARCA seems much less prone to compaction or fowling w mud.

Back
Top Bottom