Cockpit drain 2007 34 Pilot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobg02035

Greetings to all. I would like to hear from anyone who may have installed a cockpit drain on the port side of the cockpit. Those of us who own a 34 Pilot know that rain water collects there and can be a nuisance. I would like to know how the retrofit was accomplished. Thanks Bob

Well mine doesn't collect water on the port side, so the layout must be different on newer Pilot 34s. Mine is a 2003.

But it won't be easy to do. You have to create a depression in the fiberglass to let water collect, place a nylon fitting with a hose barb on the bottom, run a hose to the transom and put a fitting on the transom to connect to. The fiberglass work will be the toughest as you can only access it from the top. But good fiberglass guys can do miracles, but miracles aren't cheap.

David

Cockpit drain

Thanks Dave for the reply. I did some investigating under the floor and I agree that this is not an easy job. I saw a photo of one on a mainship 34 pilot that is for sale on Long Island and called the broker for info. He suggested that I leave it alone because he said that the fitting had worked its way through the floor after being repeatedly stepped on and now the water damage to the fiberglass has made matters worse. I will wait for more feedback from others on this board before I make a final decision. Also on a different not I want to say that it was great meeting you and your wife a couple of weeks ago. Thanks for steering me in the right direction for my solar panel installation. I hope that we can get a chance to spend some time together before the season ends. Bob (SeaLark Pilot 34)

I am also interested in one of these boats and agree that the cockpit needs a good drain -better than a small shower drain and a half inch hose!
The first step to having a nice boat that lasts well and smells good is to keep moisture and sea water out of the enclosed areas. A cheap drain system will leak water for sure!

A cockpit drain needs to be like a scupper, with a strong grate over a catchment cup which leads to a 1.5 inch or larger hose straight and over the side above the waterline.

Back
Top Bottom