US Comes Home Flying Jolly Roger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmm. Maybe they took out a North Korean sub.

We will never know...It is cool as heck though!

What an amazingly clever vessel! I am completely knocked out by the technology on these things and I don't even know what's on them! Great photos, thanks for the link.

That is really interesting especially since the USS Carter is a super duper spy sub. There is at least on book about the USS Parche which did some amazing stuff during the Cold War. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Parche_(SSN-683)

The Parche tapped/bugged the Soviets communication cables. The story goes that the US was trying to figure out how to spy on the Russians and a guy figured out that the Russians would do what everyone else does to protect their submarine cables from being cut. They would post a sign. :facepalm: The Parches went in, and sure enough, found a sign. :D:D:D

They then went back and tapped that cable which had unencrpted communications. If they had been detected by the Russians, the sub was to be scuttled... :hide::whistling::eek:

Best guess is that the Carter went out and picked up Fat Boy's missile fragments...

Later,
Dan

Maybe they shot down one or more of KJUs "failures".

Two kinds of ships - submarines and targets.

Jolly Roger

I seem to remember a few years back there was a fuss about all the British subs returning to their bases flying the Jolly Roger. Probably not PC anymore!!

I seem to remember a few years back there was a fuss about all the British subs returning to their bases flying the Jolly Roger. Probably not PC anymore!!

My recollection was that was the reaction to the sinking of the General Belgrano. An attempt by the Argentine Navy to cover their loss of machismo by suggesting some sort of sneaky criminality.

Best guess is that the Carter went out and picked up Fat Boy's missile fragments...

Later,
Dan

Makes sense.:dance:
Well done

That furuno radar is one tough sucker

In what way is war, killing and suffering "cool as heck" ?
What war, and what killing? As far as suffering goes, I believe only the people of North Korea are (and maybe a dink non-qual or two onboard the Carter).

And as an ex-bubblehead, I can confirm the it is cool as heck. I was friends with a few Parche and Richard B Russell sailors. They never said or divulged any secrets but I did get to read the redacted PUCs signed by Presidents Reagan and Bush.

In what way is war, killing and suffering "cool as heck" ?

First off, what war, what killing and what suffering?

Secondly, it's a photo of a submarine flying a flag and it is a cool picture.

Thirdly, they are returning from what appears to be a successful deployment and it is traditional to display some type of token of that success be it a broom from a halyard or a flag.

Makes sense.:dance:
Well done

Richard, I agree with you and Dan. Picking up a missile carcass is my guess. I think that class of sub has a modular front that can be fitted according to mission. Very secretive stuff. Whatever they did they are proud of it.:socool:

Last edited:
Spy - "dink NQP" - I haven't heard that phrase in a long time.

Riding submarines for a living was one of the coolest things I ever did. Don't think we ever killed anything except brain cells on liberty. But, be assured, we were cocked and locked and real good at it.

Last edited:
...You don't spend trillions of dollars on a war machine so you can go out checking crab pots and they don't fly jolly roger flags to tell you its "talk like a pirate" day.

Uh oh, thread drift.

It means all crew are qualifies sunmariners and no longer basic submarine trainees

Ot doesn't happen very often as they always sail with trainees on board. Congrats to the boat.

It means all crew are qualifies sunmariners and no longer basic submarine trainees
A US Navy sub flies gold or silver dolphin pennants to show if all officers or enlisted on board are qualified or not.

Good work. Now back on the job, more missile fragments to collect.

I stand corrected. The Canadian submarine service flys the jolly roger.

...and what ? the Australian Military has been just baking cookies for the last 117 years ?

Second Boer War 1899-1902
Boxer Rebellion 1900-1901
WW I 1914-1918
Russian Revolution 1918-1919
Malatia 1927
Spanish Civil War 1936-1939
WW II 1939-1945 ( Australia entered 2 years before our "war machine" )
Occupation of Japan 1946-1952
Berlin Airlift 1948-1949
Korea 1950-1953
Malaya Emergency 1950-1960
Indonesian Confrontation 1962-1966
Vietnam 1962-1973
Fiji 1987
Namibia 1989
Gulf War 1991
Cambodia 1992-1993
Somalia 1993
Rwanda 1994-1995
East Timor 1999-2013
Afganistan 2001-Present
Iraq 2003-2011
Solomon Islands 2003-2013
vs ISIL 2014-Present

...and what ? the Australian Military.......

On a far smaller scale but we weren't talking about what someone else is doing and just because someone else does it doesn't make it right.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom