Best Place to buy parts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PeterOTampa

I use to shop at West Marine but their markups are ridiculous. Anyone have a better place to get pumps, electrical parts, ...

I just used Defender

Was happy with both the price and real quick shipment of a Raritan head.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopkins Carter Marine Supply in Miami is a great Florida source. Defender.com is another discount supplier. If your replacing indentical pumps, etc check out ebay sellers which are marine supply companies in some cases. I only buy on the net using paypal for security reasons with the exception of the first two suppliers I mentioned. You can also find some great deals from indivdual sellers on ebay for new or like new parts.

Last edited:
I used ebay for Sherwood pumps for my previous boats 6BTA's. A fraction of Cummins' price and a reputable seller with nearly 100% positive feedback. Pay Pal too.

Depco pump in Florida is a great place for pumps.

And tremendous service and advice on the phone. Excellent rebuilder.

I would add Defender, Fishery Supply and Hamilton Marine(especially sales) for general stuff, Deep Blue Yacht Supply for all below the water line stuff. Genuine Dealz for electrical.

Yes, sometimes there are better prices to be found than the above, but service and professionalism is worth it to me.

Ebay and Amazon for a better price. Amazon has a bigger variety of products than most people think. Ebay is a good place for engine spares, starters, alternators and pumps.
I rarely buy from a marine store and then only from stores catering to commercial fishing. Anything for yachts seems to have a 30-50% markup over the same product in a fishing store.

Jamestown Distributors is pretty good. For a $59 fee(I think) you can get free shipping for a year. I saved more than the fee on one order.

Amazon has almost everything these days. I'm always surprised when I look for something, but don't really expect it to be there. It usually is, and at the best price I can find anywhere else.

Plus, you gotta love second day delivery.

Amazon has almost everything these days. I'm always surprised when I look for something, but don't really expect it to be there. It usually is, and at the best price I can find anywhere else.

Plus, you gotta love second day delivery.

:thumb:

If it can be shipped by UPS, Amazon will have it and it will be near the cheapest, on par with eBay. I even found a raw water impeller for my Yanmar 6LY by searching on Amazon- 1/3 of Yanmar's price. I haven't been to a brick and morter marine store for three years now- most from Amazon, more obscure stuff from Defender.

David

If you need it today or need to see, feel or measure it, West Marine is still the best place for those not in driving distance of Defender or the other vendors mentioned. Also, returns are quick and painless.

Now if you want a Johnson #XYZ pump or a Blue Seas #123 breaker, I find that doing a web search on the exact maker and part number usually brings up dozens of suppliers. At this point, it's easy to compare prices and shipping terms. Amazon sometimes comes out ahead but not always.

It always impressed me that I can find impellors for around 30-35% of retail on ebay. The range of sellers selling at retails to -70% to clear a storeroom etc is immense. If you don't see it create an alert. I've bought heat exchangers, impellors at well below normal retail.

It always impressed me that I can find impellors for around 30-35% of retail on ebay. The range of sellers selling at retails to -70% to clear a storeroom etc is immense. If you don't see it create an alert. I've bought heat exchangers, impellors at well below normal retail.

I've often wondered if those are maybe so old as to be not good (or up to the mfgrs specs) anymore? I think they do age, although it might be a VERY long time......

I've often wondered if those are maybe so old as to be not good (or up to the mfgrs specs) anymore? I think they do age, although it might be a VERY long time......

This can be a problem sometimes. I once bought a couple Racor fuel filters from an eBay vendor and they were rusty.

And of course with some items, they may just be made cheaply if they aren't branded.

"I've bought heat exchangers, impellors at well below normal retail."

When building boats I was an OEM , so got the usual OEM discounts.

Usually 50% + 10% + 2% for pre paid , usually free shipping .

The biggest discounts were on paint .

Volvo had deepest discounts on engines.

Worst discounts were Aires self steering gears from England 15% , free shipping.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom