Maintenance Log - template

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edelweiss

Guru
Vessel Make
1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Does anybody have a 8 x 10 maintenance log template, that would be suitable for a ring binder. *Purpose would be for documenting fire equipment inspections, equipment replacement, oil changes, etc.

I can find a lot of computerized versions, but nothing simple enough for this particular use. *Yes, I'm being lazy and don't want to fool around with Excel today.

I just log all that stuff in my regular log book. I have a spares inventory sheet too. Built both in Word.

That's what I have been doing for 30 years now, but it's all intertwined with my regular log information and I spend a lot of time hunting through my log book trying to figure out when something was done or inspected.* So I decided to try a separate log book.* I finally broke down and created some logs using excel, so I think I'm good to go.
*Thanks
*Larry B

Hi Larry,

How is the new Maintenance log working our for you? I'm about to start one for my new to me Roughwater 35. Care sharing your template?

Dave

I'm a techi but I keep my logbooks on paper.

I have a logbook that documents every trip we made in our boats.

A separate logbook for maintenance, repairs, upgrades.

We keep 3 logs for our trawler. The "ship's log" is a hardbound book in which we hand record dates, times, events, engine hours, routes, destinations and interesting/unusual events and information (eg dock/fuel cost). It makes for interesting reading after a while. Always a good reference in terms of where to anchor/dock and distances etc. On overnight passages we record GPS positions hourly.
The other logs are computer data records. The Maintenance Log is a Word doc divided into sections by major boat part such as "Main Engine", "Generator", "Windlass", "Deck" etc. Here we record all activities involving maintenance or upgrades. For example, this record shows last time engine oil was changed by engine, or last time batteries were watered in chronological order. It is a perpetual record in that all activities from the date of buying the vessel are recorded.
Lastly, there is the "Spare Parts Log" that is a Excel file recording all identified parts by part number, source and last price paid for all routine replacements and any parts expected to need replacement in the future. This also logs all model and serial numbers etc for engines, generator, stabilizers etc.
There is no great complexity to the formats. They are just lists of events or parts.
The important thing is to keep track of what you have done, and when, and to try to make it easier to do the next time. Another "log" that we keep here in New England is a detailed list and set of procedures for winterizing and (my favorite) "summerizing" the boat.

We, too, have 3 logs. One hard bound book for dates, destinations, hours, things we saw, etc. Then we have two excel spreadsheets. One is our maintenance log that can be sorted by date or boat system. The second spreadsheet is our parts inventory and part numbers with the quantity and location.

Gina and Steve
M/V Island Time

Hi Larry,

How is the new Maintenance log working our for you? I'm about to start one for my new to me Roughwater 35. Care sharing your template?
Dave
-----------------------------------------

Hmmm!! I'm not finding it on this computer, maybe I did it on my laptop which is on the boat. That's what I hate about having multiple computers. :banghead:

I might have a paper copy of it here that I can scan for you. It's nothing fancy but works great for me. I'll keep looking.
Larry B

Does anybody have a 8 x 10 maintenance log template, that would be suitable for a ring binder. *Purpose would be for documenting fire equipment inspections, equipment replacement, oil changes, etc.

I can find a lot of computerized versions, but nothing simple enough for this particular use. *Yes, I'm being lazy and don't want to fool around with Excel today.
Well, I do, but it's an Excel file and the forum won't allow uploading it.

It's so simple, it shouldn't take ten minutes in Excel. Just make the columns you need and select grid lines. print, and you're done.

A small 'Moleskin' plain lined notebook. Dates, hour meter readings and whatever else I want to note. Sits on the helm station so I don't forget.

Thanks guys. I will make myself a custom excel sheet for all the maintenance. Ships log will be old school.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Trawler

-----------------------------------------

Hmmm!! I'm not finding it on this computer, maybe I did it on my laptop which is on the boat. That's what I hate about having multiple computers. :banghead:

Larry B

Larry, try dropbox. It's free and stores everything on their server and on your computers hard drive whether it be a laptop, desktop, tablet, or cell phone.

I have all my boat stuff on it and can access all my files from any computer in the world. It auto updates on all your computers that you have registered with it so you don't have to have internet connectivity. Very slick.

Thanks guys. I will make myself a custom excel sheet for all the maintenance.
---------------------------------------
While you're at it get a thin three ring binder and some plastic sheet protectors for the log pages and all your boarding papers, registration, insurance, boat operators license, radio license, Garbage plan, CG sanitation system certification, CG Navigation Rules booklet and your last boarding receipt, customs paperwork and anything else you think they might ask for all in one place.

I use separate log pages for maintenance and safety equipment. List each fire extinguisher separately and the life preservers by group type. Flares by type and expiration. (In the US, It's OK to keep and use the expired flares as long as you have three current ones.)

My life preservers are stored in sailcloth "life preserver" soft boxes with velcro rip off lids, five to a box. Keeps them clean, dry and readily accessible.

Larry B

Larry, try dropbox. It's free and stores everything on their server and on your computers hard drive whether it be a laptop, desktop, tablet, or cell phone.

I have all my boat stuff on it and can access all my files from any computer in the world. It auto updates on all your computers that you have registered with it so you don't have to have internet connectivity. Very slick.

What security do you have? You aren't worried at all?

BTW I use Boating Suite which is an App. for my iPad. It had Logs for Trips, Mantianance, To Do List, Fuel Costs and more. Everything is saved on iCloud by way of the iPad.

Last edited:
You guys kill me.
I know what is on the boat. I use it every weekend and I mean every weekend. Rain, shine, wind snow. I am on the boat.
If I am not commercial fishing on her I am out playing.
The only thing I really record is the engine hours and fuel bought.
That is mostly because of the receipt.

The only log book I have is in my head.

One of these days I'll get organized.

I guess I just spend to much time enjoying myself.

Sd

What security do you have? You aren't worried at all?

BTW I use Boating Suite which is an App. for my iPad. It had Logs for Trips, Mantianance, To Do List, Fuel Costs and more. Everything is saved on iCloud by way of the iPad.

You have to create an account with password when you setup Dropbox. You set up Dropbox on every computer you want to have the ability to edit your files. Once done, an edit on one computer or cell phone will update the file on all your registered computers. You must of course connect to the internet for the file to be updated, but once connected it is done automatically without your input. The file resides on all your computers hard drives and on the Dropbox server. Any computer can access your files with the proper passwords but only the registered computers can edit files.
It's a good system because you don't need internet access to view and update files on registered computers.

It doesn't appear that the Android apps yet have a boating suite.

You have to create an account with password when you setup Dropbox. You set up Dropbox on every computer you want to have the ability to edit your files. Once done, an edit on one computer or cell phone will update the file on all your registered computers. You must of course connect to the internet for the file to be updated, but once connected it is done automatically without your input. The file resides on all your computers hard drives and on the Dropbox server. Any computer can access your files with the proper passwords but only the registered computers can edit files.
It's a good system because you don't need internet access to view and update files on registered computers.

It doesn't appear that the Android apps yet have a boating suite.

Thanks Tim,

My question is how do you know that the folks at Drop Box are secure? Active Captain found that several of the VPN providers they investagated were questionable as to how secure they were. Some were in Eastern Block Countries which are a bit shady at times. I would think that having everything on your HD being stored in a third world country might lead to a big problem. Maybe not!

You are correct about Boating Suite and Andriods.

Thanks Tim,

My question is how do you know that the folks at Drop Box are secure? I would think that having everything on your HD being stored in a third world country might lead to a big problem. Maybe not!

JD, I think you have a valid concern, one which would be valid for any cloud storage service. However, the files on dropbox are only files that you designate for storage. Dropbox does not store everything on your hard drive.

Personally, I store files such as my boat maintenance log, use log, diagrams of my boat navionics and many other files that would not be of interest to others. I also store a copy my trust and some supporting documents, but no financial info or passwords. This could be important if we had a fire and my computer and personal documents were lost.

Dropbox has been recommended by several computer magazines, but of course that does not mean it's secure. It is however a great tool that allows you to view files such as a maintenance log that can be updated and viewed later from any computer and on your registered computer without an internet connection. This last part speaks to Larry's problem of having several different computers and trying to keep files updated on all of them.

Like anything else you have to balance the security with the convenience.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom