what is it? found under my p side Perkins engine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capn Craig

Guru
I was cleaning under my engines before replacing the white oil absorbent pads in the engine pans. and found this. I have no clue how long it has been there. could have been dropped by previous owner, though that has been seven years. The engines are 200 HP Perkins 354 TA's. it has a Perkins patina paint on outside. its 3/4 od x 3/8 id x 3/8 thick. motor runs good with no leaks Anybody got an idea where to look?

Thanks, Craig

Attachments

• IMG_1292.jpg
    IMG_1292.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
rubber? Steel? Similar to alternator bracket big bolt spacer.?!

Looks like a steel (??) spacer for a bolt. Sniff around engine for something missing a bolt, then go look at other engine. And go look for the bolt. Alternator, fuel injection line supports, bracketry, etc.

Look for any bolts or brackets with a stack of washers under them.

It's. Metal. Steel probably. Looks a bit like bronze thou that's problably oil stain. Didn't think to try a magnet on it. Will be on boat tommorow. I like the alternator spacer idea. I did have the alternator on that side come loose just after buying it. It was held on by a bunch of junk hardware by the PO. I fixed it proper but without a proper spacer

It's. Metal. Steel probably. Looks a bit like bronze thou that's problably oil stain. Didn't think to try a magnet on it. Will be on boat tommorow. I like the alternator spacer idea. I did have the alternator on that side come loose just after buying it. It was held on by a bunch of junk hardware by the PO. I fixed it proper but without a proper spacer
I'll look at my Perkins this afternoon after work and see if I see something like it . Sure looks like alternator spacer .

Capn Craig I looked on my Perkins for a spacer but couldn't find anything that looked like yours.

Multicooler mounting hardware?

When I removed and serviced my multi-cooler on my 200 hp Perkins there were many 3/8 spacers like that.

The inner part of an impeller?

Bet it's just a lost part from some long ago engine work. Also, bet there was another just like it installed due to the loss.

Two votes:
Recovered and long ago replaced part that thought it could forever hide in the bilge.
I like Hopcar,s suggestion. That recess does look similar to a grommet setting anvil.

Grommet setting tool would explain the bronze look mentioned in post #5.

There's many a mechanic stripped down an engine and been left with a few bits over. Amazingly most times an engine fires up and runs fine.
I'm guilty, I've done it myself and found myself with a few washers left over.

Washers are like wire coat hangers; they multiply when the lights are off.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom