I was aboard this boat today. Wow!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wow thats expensive for a single screw..
and fyi, i noticed the genny is started by the main engine batts though it seems every other system has its own battery bank and separate chargers.

i like the lines, not as much as my dream boat (the GB Eastbay).

The week I spent on Malta in 2003 found no*really good*meal.* If staying any longer, I'd probably end up*eating at KFC.

markpierce wrote:
The week I spent on Malta in 2003 found no*really good*meal.* If staying any longer, I'd probably end up*eating at KFC.
You gotta hang out with the right people.* We were working with Air Malta and they took us to excellent restaurants all over the island every night.* I'm not going to say it was the best food ever--- Dubai and Abu Dhabi probably get that prize with Australia and Turkey vying for*a very close second--- but the meals I can remember having on Malta were terrific.

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 10th of August 2011 07:08:51 PM

Down east Lobster boats won't have hard chines because traps catch on the chine edge. (there is a recent builder in Maine who does build with hard chines...can't remember who)
Bay boats have hard chines, finer entry and are designed/refined for local bay conditions.
The evolution of lobster boats is ever increasing horsepower. Sterns of Lob boats have become wider and wider to avoid squat from weight/HP. Some of these boats have 800-1000 HP on 42'.

Sailor of Fortune wrote:
The evolution of lobster boats is ever increasing horsepower. Sterns of Lob boats have become wider and wider to avoid squat from weight/HP. Some of these boats have 800-1000 HP on 42'.
GEEEZZZ - Da times Do Change!!* Back in late 60's early 70's Penobscot Lobster boats were BIG time if they had a 327 or 350 cid gasser... most had straight 6 cyl, a few had*rather small diesel.* Only one*I recall had a hopped up 427 vet engine.* She was the fastest around.* 800-1000 HP now!! again GEEEZZZ - Da Times Do Change!* LMAO

I think the trend to crowd the power to a lobster boat is ridiculous. Beautiful, easily driven hulls that perform great with 200 hp. But then again , I'm in no hurry. With 800 hp you can pass everything....except the fuel dock!

"I think the trend to crowd the power to a lobster boat is ridiculous."

Its a SPORT for the go fast folks that like to win races.

National Fisherman covers the annual races, and some FEW guys take it really seriously.

Like a drag race , specialized , and not very practical, but FUN to watch!!!

FF wrote:

"I think the trend to crowd the power to a lobster boat is ridiculous."

Its a SPORT for the go fast folks that like to win races.

National Fisherman covers the annual races, and some FEW guys take it really seriously.

Like a drag race , specialized , and not very practical, but FUN to watch!!!
Agreed!
In Maine 1960s / 70s the guy who had Lobster boat with hopped up 427 vet engine was a pure gearhead... he also had the fastest cars!* Out here in SF Bay/Delta one of my friends is another gearhead... 27 Fountain with hopped up 575 cid (I think thats his hugely bored out cid??) speed boat that does 90 + mph.* Far as Im concerned Fk that too fast Sht!!* At 90 mph the Fountain begins to waffle; with the*wrong ripples on water surface or incorrect wind gust... whoevers in that monster doing that speed could too soon be surfing to the Pearly Gates!
no.gif
* I saw it gain air with a flippy motion a few times as hes sped past our anchored Tolly at top speed.* I NO GO that fast Thank You!* Heck,*alone and for just a few seconds when I do WOT in our light weight 50 hp 14 4 seater-comfortable runabout getting close to 40 knts... thats darn fast enough! *Wife and I much more enjoy cruising at around 25 knts in that little gunk-holen sweetheart...* and, at that speed we be*getten*affordable 20+ mpg to boot!* We love cruising our Tolly at 6.7 knts, just below hull speed (2 + nmpg), or sometimes on a clean plane at 16 +/- knts (1 nmpg).* Now dont gets me wrong...I aints gots nutten gainst speeeeed; heck, my 1967 430 cid 360 hp factory orig Wildcat back in 67 was factory rated at 148 mph, and, with only 118K miles on her she still loves to pur down the hwy at 90; but at this age we DO like to see the scenery too!* BTW My friend with the Fountain recently went racing another friend with a similar speed boat on a few hour jaunt, to a restaurant with great Tacos for lunch each speed boat used around $700 high test gasoline that day to enable that crazy excursion!* Talk about expensive Tacos!!* Theres a continual joke between we boaten friends about that silly*run...
confuse.gif
*Each to their own!!* Thank God!!
This afternoon (100 miles door to door) we go to our Tolly and tow-behind runabout for a cruisen/hooken/gunken/swimen/diven/sun-deck BBQen/night time video watchen/totally relaxen 5 day weekend!* Mid 30s daughter and her cool hubby will join us for a couple days on the water.* Wishing you all the best for Labor Day!! Cheers, Art
biggrin.gif

An old crabber here in the Chesapeake once told me that the Deadrise work boats were built at 32' 42' and 48' depending on were the boat was working. The length had to do with the the spacing of the waves. The guys that worked the open water wanted the 48' boat so it would be on a couple of waves at once.
I spent a couple of winters as a kid dredging crabs in the winter on a 48' boat. That boat would go through anything.
Cindy and I will be at the Crisfield Crab Derby in MD this weekend. On Sunday afternoon they have a boat docking contest. I've seen a number of them over the years. It's amazing how much horse power some of these boats have. Last year there was ever an aluminum deadrise in the contest. It was very quick but did not win.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom