Work in progress. 65' lugger reworked after a fire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Capstan! I've been reading about your progress. Sometime it takes reading about someone else's work to motivate my own work..
Cajun, Yes that is sinker cypress I found here locally, driving pilings for a living you run into lots of underwater surprises!

Well we made our second trip to Chandler island over Labor Day. I aligned both engines before we left, took about 2 days with two of us, boat did great, we were able to make it up to about 8.5 mph towing 3 boats. Caught about 60 fish and had a beautiful weekend
IMG_0319.jpgIMG_0323.JPGIMG_0310.jpgIMG_0325.JPGIMG_0316.jpgIMG_0317.jpg

Last edited:
Good to see you out doing what we talked about you doing with the Rose several years ago Paul.

Thanks guys, I've got the autopilot installation going on, and my cabinets are finishing up, not a whole lot of plans after that, just using her! Can't wait

Man now this is cool. Good work Paul . The Rose looks right at home towing those fishing boats.

Well I’ve been chasing oil leaks for about 50 hours on the engines. I’ve replaced both valve covers and that seems to have stopped all the oil. Few pictures from a ride last weekend
IMG_0499.jpgIMG_0500.jpg
Added a 9000 luman led light bar on the stern
IMG_0498.jpg
Picking out granite for the counter top
IMG_0494.jpg

Yes. Very impressive.

What’s the deal with the pic towing all those other boats?

That’s what we do here, Chandelier island is about 60 miles from the dock, we go for about 3-4 days and tow little boats to fish from.
IMG_0334.jpg
IMG_0329.jpg
IMG_0241.jpg

Matt, thanks man. I’m glad your back on the site. I don’t think I would be this far along with the rose if it wasn’t for your project motivating me to keep moving.

Matt, thanks man. I’m glad your back on the site. I don’t think I would be this far along with the rose if it wasn’t for your project motivating me to keep moving.

We help each other brother. Your pics are now driving me lol.

Swampu,

Got it. That’s very cool. Y’all have it figured out for sure!

Cardude, if you make to this side of the river let me know and y’all can meet us out there

Swampu,
I just read through this entire thread. All I can say is WOW!!!! Such a daunting project, and you have executed it so well. What a beautiful boat and what an amazing project that you have tackled. Wow, good on you!! Thanks for sharing this thread,

Cheers, Bill

Thank you Bill

Paul great job and great liven... Your Rose is reaching full bloom! :smitten:

Get It On... Keep It On!! :thumb:

Art :D

Well I thought Groundhog Day was a few weeks ago, brought a mechanic in for a tune on the starboard engine and bam
IMG_0710.jpgIMG_0711.jpgIMG_0712.jpg
The rack was a little rusty and crusty, a quick pressure test and 3 injector tubes were leaking water

Upon further inspection at the shop 3 of the 6 pistons were missing rings, the sleeves were very loose in the block. The good, crank and block in great shape, head is not warped or cracked. Should be done in a week

Holy shaaaaatt. As Matt says - You are LUCKY! Hope all works out well...

That's what is nice about the GM/Detroit engines. Just about all mechanics in oil country have experience with them. Tuff buggers. Good luck with it. I love this thread.

did you have pull the engine or could they somehow pull the pistons while the block is in place? your boat is turning out beautifully. and why are they called a lugger?

jim

did you have pull the engine or could they somehow pull the pistons while the block is in place? your boat is turning out beautifully. and why are they called a lugger?

jim
If Swampu's engine room is set up for it, the engines can go through a complete rebuild in place. The engines are industrial commercial engines that are designed to have the block semi permanently mounted. I may be wrong but I believe lugger refers to the engines low rpm redline. Sometimes as low as 1800 rpm usually never more than 3300 rpm. I/C diesels makes a lot of torque off idle and have a narrow power band.

Was not one engine already kitted? So this is the other one? If so, good to have fresh on both sides.

If liners are loose, need to have the mech do a careful job of measuring bores, spec'ing and fitting new liners. A good bit of care there pays off in engine life.

Back
Top Bottom