First Four TT35s Looking GOOD!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think one would be looking at about 10,000 lbs, fully loaded with the trailer.

Thus, I don't see a problem with a hitch set-up. I wouldn't pull this, however, with anything less than a newer 3/4 truck.

Jim

You are right on all counts. 3/4 ton bumper would do it. 1ton dually with 5th wheel trailer would do it better, safer with better maneuvering ability. You would not even know it was back there, even with water, fuel and all supplies. Better control. Overkill? Well maybe. Tim the tool man syndrome here... I guess.

You are right on all counts. 3/4 ton bumper would do it. 1ton dually with 5th wheel trailer would do it better, safer with better maneuvering ability. You would not even know it was back there, even with water, fuel and all supplies. Better control. Overkill? Well maybe. Tim the tool man syndrome here... I guess.

This argument rages in the Airstream world all the time.
I consider not just towing ratings of the vehicle but more importantly, load ratings. There are lots of 1/2 ton vehicles out there that can safely pull the 10,000 pound suggested weight of the boat and trailer but many of them would be overwhelmed by the tongue weight of this package alone.

I like my trucks to be sized with spare capacity...

Bruce

The other part to keep in mind is pulling it up the boat ramp. Depending on the ramp incline, that's a lot to ask of some 1/2 ton truck transmissions.

Ted

The other part to keep in mind is pulling it up the boat ramp. Depending on the ramp incline, that's a lot to ask of some 1/2 ton truck transmissions.

Ted

And 4 whee drive would be very helpful on the steeper boat ramps.

This argument rages in the Airstream world all the time.
I consider not just towing ratings of the vehicle but more importantly, load ratings. There are lots of 1/2 ton vehicles out there that can safely pull the 10,000 pound suggested weight of the boat and trailer but many of them would be overwhelmed by the tongue weight of this package alone.

I like my trucks to be sized with spare capacity...

Bruce

On the RV forums, there is a common line, "How can you tell a salesman in lying.... his lips are moving!"

There are even some fifth wheel RV's that are sold as compatible for 1/2 ton pickups. While this might be true when they leave the factory, it doesn't include any gear, liguids (water, waste, fuel), genny, or other things folks need to add to their rigs. One's pin weight then can quickly exceed the available payload numbers for a 1/2 ton truck.

Some folks also assume that all pickup trucks are the same. Different body styles, accessories, engines, etc., all spec trucks out at different capacities. The only way of knowing the actual capacities of any given truck is to look at the plate on the door. Then, from these weights, one needs to subtract the weights the owner adds to the truck.

We went through all this as we had planned on buying a fifth wheel RV. Also, looked at the numbers for a towable cruising boat.

Glad, we have decided on a boat with a 12 - 14 foot beam so I no longer have to worry about these types of issues! :D

Jim

"After considerable research, we opted to go with a soft-sided, bladder-style water tank. These systems have proven to be durable and trouble free, and we settled on a 150-liter tank from Plastimo.

A bladder-style water tank from Plastimo"

Great Harbor should rethink the use of Plastimo PVC water tanks. As noted in the BPA water tank thread, flexible PVC contains plasticizers that may release possible carcinogens into the drinking water.

I realize that there are two serial qualifiers in the sentence above: may and possible, but if I were going to live on that water for an extended period, I would want something different.

David

What's to be gained with the Plastimo water tanks, weight savings?

I would never drink water from the faucet in a boat but it might end up in my coffee or some other prepared foods.

I would never drink water from the faucet in a boat but it might end up in my coffee or some other prepared foods.

Hm... I've never had any concerns about drinking the tap water on my boats. Do you drink water from the tap at home?

Hm... I've never had any concerns about drinking the tap water on my boats. Do you drink water from the tap at home?

We have a well and drinking water is run through an oxidizer and then a reverse osmosis system.

Buy bottled drinking water for boating. Keep in mind, our previous trawler was a 30+ year old Taiwanese Tub.

From what I can see based on watching the development of this project for the past year or so, the company is now on track to be about a year (or more?) late in delivery of the first boats.
I have no idea what is slowing the project down but obviously something is as a Great Harbor was talking about finished models being available for Annapolis in 2016.
I just feel sorry for the people who are waiting with money invested in the project. I know how difficult it was to wait for our boat to be finished and we were on time. How torturous that must be for them!
Bruce

What I find most discouraging is their near time forecasting. In March, it's May. In May, it's July. In August, it's October. To think that now at this point, they're still deciding on a water tank and then they choose a bladder. And their customers, the ones who long ago placed the orders, are no longer speaking about any of it. They've clearly run into problems they didn't anticipate. I say that being kind because that is one of only two possible answers, the other being they knew they'd never have any built when they said. I really hope the buyers are happy once the boats are delivered.

I agree with Bruce, this project has been a long time birthing. I can understand waiting until they had four boats on order so as to build them like a production line. But it sounds like they are designing as they build and that always takes longer. But doing it with the hull sitting in front of you will probably result in a better product.

The Annapolis show is only six weeks away. I hope they make it.

David

"After considerable research, we opted to go with a soft-sided, bladder-style water tank. These systems have proven to be durable and trouble free, and we settled on a 150-liter tank from Plastimo.

A bladder-style water tank from Plastimo"

Great Harbor should rethink the use of Plastimo PVC water tanks. As noted in the BPA water tank thread, flexible PVC contains plasticizers that may release possible carcinogens into the drinking water.

I realize that there are two serial qualifiers in the sentence above: may and possible, but if I were going to live on that water for an extended period, I would want something different.

David

A quick check of the Plastimo website regarding BPA:

FLEXIBLE WATERTANKS FOR FRESH WATER
High resistance flexible water tanks : a reliable, practical and low cost solution to the storage of fresh water on board. They are flexible, light and form-fitting, and can therefore be installed where it would not be possible to install a rigid water tank, due to the shape of the boat or difficult access.

BISPHENOL A FREE / PHTALATE - FREE

High resistance flexible water tanks : a reliable, practical and low cost solution to the storage of fresh water on board. They are flexible, light and form-fitting, and can therefore be installed where it would not be possible to install a rigid water tank, due to the shape of the boat or difficult access.

While it may make sense on this boat as we can't know the space situation, I've never seen them installed as a primary tank. It feels more like a "didn't plan for" kind of items. I don't understand them still working on equipment selection at this point, especially basics like a water tank.

So they don't use BPA or phthalates, but what do they use to make it flexible. They must use something.

I am a bit cynical about this stuff. A manufacturer uses something that some scientists say is a carcinogen. So they switch to something else. Doesn't mean that something else won't also be found to be carcinogenic.

Why do other manufactures of water bladders use a separate polymer layer on the inside to avoid this problem? Plastimo evidently doesn't.

David

Are any of the TT35's finished yet?? Any TF guys gonna be TT owners?

South of Heaven,
Mirage posted in November that Hull #2 had been delivered to the owner. On the owners blog, he noted some boating with his TT35.

South of Heaven,
Mirage posted in November that Hull #2 had been delivered to the owner. On the owners blog, he noted some boating with his TT35.

Okay, thanks. I'll do some more digging.

https://www.facebook.com/greatharbourtrawlers On Nov 17th, the posting showed Jim and Joy Lowe in front of their boat.

Thanks. I checked the Great Harbour site too. They have "Spirit Song" on the home page. Looks good! Nice interior pics too.

I like how they fit a full size bed in the bow with only a 10 feet beam boat. Great use of space. The washer unit is in the bow too.

Thanks for the FB link. I'm a secret admirer of GH boats.

Amazing the difference the bottom paint and bootstripe makes. Looked pretty homely in it's commissioning photos.

The Great Harbour Trawlers Facebook page has a pic of Hull #1 undergoing break-in cruising and states it will be delivered by the end of the month. The flybridge doesn't look bad at all except it is missing a bimini:D. It seems like it has taken forever and then some. Will be happy for Miz Trom when they finally cruise away.

How many threads are you going to post that in? Still no boat test and still only one boat produced so the whole bit about the first four looking good seems sort of week now 7-8 months later while only one delivered and he still working issues out on his.

I told my wife: Lets watch how quick after I post something positive on the TT35 that BanB comes back with something negative.....I said within an hour....she said two.... Thanks BanB your so dependable, I won the bet (wife has to buy my dinner tonight)!

I told my wife: Lets watch how quick after I post something positive on the TT35 that BanB comes back with something negative.....I said within an hour....she said two.... Thanks BanB your so dependable, I won the bet (wife has to buy my dinner tonight)!

I am interested in the answers to these questions assuming that avoiding the quibble is possible....
"Still no boat test and still only one boat produced so the whole bit about the first four looking good seems sort of week now 7-8 months later while only one delivered and he still working issues out on his"

Does anyone know what is up with the TT35's? Are they worked out and does anyone have a decent boat test for them?
Thank you

Yes, I do counteract the shills. You posted the article in multiple threads but you also started this thread with the photos talking about the four looking good. So, they're getting articles published. Great. Now when will they deliver hulls #1, #3 and #4 and get all the issues with #2 worked out. Hope you and your wife enjoy a nice dinner tonight. You want us to just ignore their total inability to meet any delivery times promised and the obvious three uncompleted boats which you brought to our attention? The builder chooses to publicize and promise but make no information available about missing any of those promises. So, you turn it on me posting negative, but make no response as to the content of my post.

I'll put it plainly. What has happened regarding the boats you published photos of on July 21? That is now 8 1/2 months later on a boat that should take no more than 3 months to build from start to finish. You choose to take issue with the messenger and ignore the facts and questions. And, when this is brought up again in two months or three with the boats still not delivered, I will post again. We're not GH's promotional forum. I'm glad you love your GH. Some do. Some don't. Some don't yet have theirs.

BB, is it any more complicated than available funds? Often initial dreams and final costs don't match so schedule slippage occurs.

Regarding boat tests, "testing" all too often occurs to match advertising dollars spent with testing magazine. IMHO "Boating" is the preeminent testing mag for boats under 40' or so, the highs and lows sections are laughable. Most (should) tend to read boat tests with a grain of salt or two.

But, back to purpose. I'd view this burgeoning market in the 28 to 35 range as a renaissance. Ranger Tugs, Cutwater, etc similar designs are stealing the market. Maybe this pi$$ing (thanks RT) contest between BB and Spots is good and illustrates builders like TT and Sandpiper should move forward. Don't forget Nordic Tug is in this fray too.

So why should anyone care how complicated it might be? Either you do as you say or you don't. Either you deliver product to customers or you don't.
The rest is all BS to baffle people with: look at people's actions and ignore the words.

So what are the actions here: one boat delivered to a customer, but not in useable condition. 3 more hulls built, but not sold/delivered to customers. And a lot of talk.......

Last edited:
BB, is it any more complicated than available funds? Often initial dreams and final costs don't match so schedule slippage occurs.

Regarding boat tests, "testing" all too often occurs to match advertising dollars spent with testing magazine. IMHO "Boating" is the preeminent testing mag for boats under 40' or so, the highs and lows sections are laughable. Most (should) tend to read boat tests with a grain of salt or two.

Boattest.com does tests regularly for boats in that size range.

I suspect it may be lack of available funds, but if that's the case on boats they've sold then that's a serious issue. GH did a self test but not of a finished boat, long before one was finished. They apparently didn't repeat it once a boat was completed and still have that test as the one cited on their web site.

I was long an advocate for outboard boats moving into the cruiser market so I am pleased to see that happen. I'm anxious to see how some of them actually perform. Anxious to see how they handle moderately rough seas as well.

Facts do matter, especially in regards to technical information on a Forum. With that said, being overly critical and questioning every detail on other matters is not productive in my opinion. Probably a reason why some people choose not to put up too much information on new builds.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom