Chattanooga?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkmjr

I just posted my intro. up in the "welcome mat" and this is my first plea for help. I am not a trawler owner, but run a 24' CC. I am planning a long weekend trip from Guntersville Lake, Al. to Chattanooga. We plan to leave early one morning and make the run and overnight a couple of nights in Chat. and then return. I am looking for some recommendations on where I might dock my boat for a couple of days. From my research it appears my best bet will be the docks on the downtown riverfront that are managed by Erwin Marine Group. I don't need power or water or even facilities for that matter. I just need a secure place to tie up and either walk or UBER to a downtown hotel. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Yes, Erwin Marine runs the docks downtown and that would be your best bet.

Wm Mayberry
OPTIMYSTIQUE
Mariner 40

Watts Bar Lake, getting ready for the Eclipse

The Chattanooga downtown docks at Ross' Landing have a floating dock section. There are gates with key code locks at both ends. You should be OK there. It's my home town and a great walking city. Depending when you come, there are many events held on the waterfront. Check out the website of the Downtown Partnership. Downtown Chattanooga

Wifey B: Like others have stated, the downtown docks are the place to be. The riverfront and the aquarium and so much more close to you. A paradise in it's own way. Beyond that don't miss some of the landmarks like the Choo Choo (bless you...:rofl:) and even the ups and downs from Ruby Falls to Lookout Mountain but also just enjoy the water.

Lake Chickamauga is great too, so perhaps while there lock through, preferably not on a weekend day. Some good marinas there but not at all convenient to the city itself. Great parks to like Harrison but that's a good ways up Chickamauga and probably for another trip. We love Chattanooga. If we were ever going to have a second home, a lake home, that's probably where we'd choose. :)

Update.

Hope this is not a bore to the trawlers. I took my mom, dad, and brother on this trip a couple of weeks ago. I have done a good bit of offshore fishing trips and overnighters, but this was my first pleasure trip and it could not have been any better. We left home early one morning and arrived at Goose Pond Colony on Guntersville Lake around noon and launched. We made our way north stopping at several places along the way to admire the sites and the many Osprey nests. My mom has taken some ornithology classes and was quite intrigued with all the nests on the navigation markers. They were literally everywhere. Our plan was to make half the trip and spend the night at Watts Bar Marina and finish the trip the following morning. We cruise at @ 30 so we made it to Nickajack lock in no time and locked through. Watts Barr is just a few mile north where we stayed in a floating cabin for the night. We cooked a nice meal and enjoyed the waterfront location. The next morning we headed north again to our destination. The overall trip was @ 85 miles and we only had @ 30 to finish our trip. We made it around noon and found our slip. I am a nut about fuel so the first thing I did was top off even though we had plenty for the return. Our dock was just below our hotel so it was really convenient. We could even see the boat from our room window. The docks and fuel dock at Ross Landing are very nice from my limited experience. We took a short walk to the downtown area where they were setting up for a "beer fest" the following day. We took in the aquarium, a Lookouts game, and enjoyed a couple of nice meals. One night we decided to take the boat up river to the Boathouse Restaurant. I had read from another trawler story that it was great and they had a courtesy dock. The courtesy dock turned out to belong to the adjacent VFW but appeared open for others to use. We docked and the meal was fabulous. It seems very odd that a restaurant on a major river named the "Boathouse" wouldn't have a dock. Anyway, we were up early the next morning and headed back. We were making the whole trip home that day so I dropped the hammer and we made it 85 miles and the stop at the lock in 2.5 hours. The lockkeepers going and coming were extremely nice and we conversed with them while they stood above us during the two locks. I actually radioed ahead on the return trip and they were opening the gates when we rolled up. I have locked in and out of the Ms. River in N.O. several times and this was much easier and less stressful.
We reached the original launch site @ 10 and headed home.

It was a wonderful trip and the weather was perfect. Low 80's and mid 60's in August is very nice. My parents thoroughly enjoyed it. My dad has always wanted a trawler, but could never get my mom on board with the idea. Unfortunately, they are in their late 60's so unless I get busy I don't think my dad will get to ever enjoy a trawler trip.

It was a wonderful trip and the weather was perfect. Low 80's and mid 60's in August is very nice. My parents thoroughly enjoyed it. My dad has always wanted a trawler, but could never get my mom on board with the idea. Unfortunately, they are in their late 60's so unless I get busy I don't think my dad will get to ever enjoy a trawler trip.

He just did. It was just at a different speed in a different boat but call it a trawler trip by those confined by jobs and life. It was exploring the river and you live in an excellent place for that. You can run in both directions. You could easily run up to Watts Bar Lake. I'm assuming you actually stopped at Hales Bar Marina not Watts Bar. In the other direction you have Wheeler, Wilson and Pickwick. So much great weekend or week cruising in your area with good places to spend the nights. Just keep doing it.

He just did. It was just at a different speed in a different boat but call it a trawler trip by those confined by jobs and life. It was exploring the river and you live in an excellent place for that. You can run in both directions. You could easily run up to Watts Bar Lake. I'm assuming you actually stopped at Hales Bar Marina not Watts Bar. In the other direction you have Wheeler, Wilson and Pickwick. So much great weekend or week cruising in your area with good places to spend the nights. Just keep doing it.

Yes you are correct. It was Hale's Bar Marina. I'm not sure why I have Watt's Bar on the brain. The history of the original Hale's Bar dam is very interesting. Some even say it's haunted! Thanks for setting me straight.

Yes you are correct. It was Hale's Bar Marina. I'm not sure why I have Watt's Bar on the brain. The history of the original Hale's Bar dam is very interesting. Some even say it's haunted! Thanks for setting me straight.

The history is. The present is sad. It's a decent stop but it could be so much more.

The history is. The present is sad. It's a decent stop but it could be so much more.

Yes, you are correct again. I was scared to death about what we were going to arrive to given the terrible reviews on the internet. I contacted every accommodation I could find between Guntersville and Chattanooga with no luck. Hale's Bar was the only thing I could find available. I decided to take a chance because we wanted to spend one night "on the river" so to speak. When I called, the lady was very nice and helpful, but I still had my reservations. When we arrived at the dock I could tell it was not very well maintained. I was pleasantly surprised that our floating cabin was very nice. It was clean and comfortable and we docked the boat just a few steps from the door. I certainly have no complaints with he cabin, but the marina itself needs a lot of attention. It is very run down and could use some TLC. It is a real shame because it is in a beautiful location. It does seem secluded so I guess they just don't get the traffic/revenue stream to keep it nice. I guess mis-management could also be the problem. Who knows? I can say without a doubt that stretch of the TN River from there to Chattanooga is beautiful.

There's a saying in Tennessee " bad news travels fast on the mountain" !
Hales Bar Marina needs to acknowledge that if they care about boaters business.
We like to stay over night at Shell Mound Recreation Center or anchor for the night nearby when travelling in that area of the river.

There's a saying in Tennessee " bad news travels fast on the mountain" !
Hales Bar Marina needs to acknowledge that if they care about boaters business.
We like to stay over night at Shell Mound Recreation Center or anchor for the night nearby when travelling in that area of the river.

I, too, like the dock at Shell Mound recreation area. No hook ups as of the last time there, but the rest rooms were available to boaters. A great view of the lake from the dock. Charlie James with a group of investors built the original Hales Bar Dam. He was the original developer of the Town of Signal Mountain, and also built some of the original high rise office buildings downtown such as the James Building.

Thanks for the update on Hale's Bar. It's been several years since we've stayed there and I wasn't aware it was on a slide. On Watts Bar (really Watts Bar) I recommend Terrace View on the west side or Euchee Marina on the east. Both are 7 - 8 miles above Watts Bar Dam. Floating cabins are available at Euchee (a bit pricey).

Thanks for the update on Hale's Bar. It's been several years since we've stayed there and I wasn't aware it was on a slide. On Watts Bar (really Watts Bar) I recommend Terrace View on the west side or Euchee Marina on the east. Both are 7 - 8 miles above Watts Bar Dam. Floating cabins are available at Euchee (a bit pricey).

Terrace View is nice. I wouldn't say Watts Bar is on a slide. It's more like a roller coaster up and down but never as far up as you wish.

I will second the recommendation for Terrace View Marina. We brought our 40' Mariner Trawler up from Bradenton, Florida to Watts bar Lake last June. We have kept her at Terrace View. I cant say enough good about the Family that owns the marina and the work they have down to bring it back. We've had a great Summer up here and will begin the trek back down to Florida mid-Oct.

Wm Mayberry
OPTIMYSTIQUE
Mariner 40

Totally agree on Terrace View. Great family. Home schooled kids and everyone has a responsibility at the marina. Squeaky clean. The restaurant offers a limited menu, but it's all local and delicious. Wife loved the catfish and I did flips for the fried chicken.

This spring we stopped at the following, from Chattanooga and beyond.

Chattanooga Downtown Marina operated by Erwin. Great location by the riverwalk and the aquarium. Great place

On Lake Chickamauga there are many nice marinas. We stopped at Island Cove which is up the lake a bit, but the great thing there is Harrison Bay State Park right next to it.

Next stop was Terrace View Marina which has been discussed well here.

Then Tellico Marina which is a multipurpose location and decent for a stop. Not the same ambience of Terrace View.

From there we went to Fort Loudon Marina which is nice. Very nice marina near the lock.

Then in downtown Knoxville we stayed at Volunteer Landing which is very convenient and a nice facility.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom