Where are the trawlering sites?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While some threads on this forum are purely political like the current one about North Korea, others can't really be discussed without bringing up politics. Examples would be threads concerning boat taxes and discussions on dumping holding tanks.

Something some people don't seem to be aware of is, you don't have to respond to (or even read) every single post. Read the ones that interest you and respond if you have questions or something useful to add.

Something some people don't seem to be aware of is, you don't have to respond to (or even read) every single post. Read the ones that interest you and respond if you have questions or something useful to add.

This should continually scroll across the top of every internet page that allows commentary. Or, it should be common sense; but that never works out.

As a participant on Trawler Forum for the last 8 months I have learn so much from the discussions that are posted. I have posted a couple questions and each time found the answer amongst the several responses, usually I am just reading in the background learning all kinds of stuff that I haven't yet experienced. Everywhere you turn now a days you will run into politics or PC, the nice thing is on this site when I skip over those posts i usually find a subject that is relevant regarding the life I live with our trawler, (or not a trawler, Sundowner tug ). I greatly appreciate the knowledge I have gained from the members of this site! Thank y'all !!

Harking back to the Op's original heading and post, the irony is, this forum was only started because the Passage Maker one deteriorated so badly once the Bill Parletore, the original owner of the mag and forum sold out, and the new owners did not have the personal interest or knowledge to run a good forum. it floundered around, the software was chopped and changed, folk lost touch with past posts, etc, and most regulars drifted away. That was when John Baker and a mate, (Doug Cole, I think), started the original Trawler Forum, which grew so much cost became a factor, so it was taken/on sold to the current professional forum host/owner to avoid the need to charge members a sign-on fee, if memory serves.

Sometimes it is worthwhile revisiting the origin of things, as over time, people forget.

quite a lot smaller than most of the "trawlers" represented here. Perhaps it merely comes down to my choices of which threads to read, but I really don't recall when I've seen a "political" discussion here.

BTW, I have a sailing friend who like to refer to my Albin as a "mini-trawler". I tell him my boat, built in 1976, predates the term "mini-trawler by years and years and a more correct term in "Scandinavian-style motor cruiser".

MOBY Nick,
I named my A25 "Trawlerette" trying to accomplish the same thing. I meant "small trawler" but most attached a sexual connotation to it. In the end I admitted it was a bad choice. But at least I named the boat what it was.

My next naming was a male name and w minimal characters. Got really sick of writing down "Trawlerette" on all those transient tiny moorage slips.

I've belonged to several boating and saltwater sports forums over the years. Most have had some sort of "off the deep end" forum of some kind or other. Most have also, after several years, run into a similar quandary, wherein the old-timers bemoan the posts the the off-topic forum and lack of posts elsewhere.

I believe this kind of thing to be cyclical and if you wait long enough, and the newbies hang around, you get back to the point where there are more posts about boats than other things. At least that's my theory. ;):socool::thumb:

I've belonged to several boating and saltwater sports forums over the years. Most have had some sort of "off the deep end" forum of some kind or other. Most have also, after several years, run into a similar quandary, wherein the old-timers bemoan the posts the the off-topic forum and lack of posts elsewhere.

I believe this kind of thing to be cyclical and if you wait long enough, and the newbies hang around, you get back to the point where there are more posts about boats than other things. At least that's my theory. ;):socool::thumb:

Spot on, and thanks for that...:thumb:

Probably helps that you only enter OTDE by doing a deal with the devil.:devil: Not worked out how that`s achieved, not sure I want to.

Very few of what we refer to as "trawlers" are.

For most "trawler" means a cruising motor vessel that mostly operates at displacement speeds.

Many "motor yachts" and "trawlers" have the same engines and everything below the waterline.

The big difference is the look of the boat , that the owner prefers.

Even "cruising" can have different meanings to different folks.

Dashing from marina to marina is a style as is independant cruising , anchoring out mostly , using marinas as a service , not as a destination.

Its all good fun and mostly the same sized boats will be built with the same equipment , and design flaws .

Even the dock queens that have not moved 15 feet in a decade , love the lifestyle.

Trawler ? its like Hi Fi, no real meaning , except if you fish for a living.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom