Old 09-03-2017, 02:55 PM   #54
dhays
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Yep, oil sample can tell you when to change. Engines running at light load might be able to extend the change interval, but there are other contaminants (fuel dilution, moisture content, etc) that may force it earlier. Those contaminants are rarely an issue with an engine in a normal duty cycle, but at light load they might be.

I run my 450 Cummins a mix of 7.7kts/950rpm/1.9gph and 21kts/2000rpm/11gph. Manual says change the oil at 250hrs. A sample taken at 200hrs indicated oil was less than half way through its service life. Based on that I go about 300hrs and sample every few changes. Results remain consistent. It just gives me the willies to go much longer.

I just received my first two sample bottles from Blackstone Labs. With my new engine, I want to start doing oil analysis. I will change the oil shortly (under 100 hours) and send a sample at that time.

Not sure what I will be use as a protocol, but will figure it out as I go. Not sure I will sample between changes, but likely will sample at every change and use that information to inform when I do the next change.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote