Did I say 12 - I meant 21

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dvd

Vessel Name
BOOSTER
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37
Drove up to the NJ yard where I pulled my boat for Irene. I had mentioned in another post how professional Lockwood Boat Works in South Amboy, NJ handled the pre-hurricane situation with all the boats they were asked to pull. I had agreed on the phone to a $12/ft charge to pull out (that is their published rate on their web site) and the insurance company had authorized the charge. So no damage issues with the boat, but when I was handed the bill it was for $21/ft. The explanation was "the storm," and "it made us incredibly busy." When I asked to speak with the yard owner, he was "pumping out his basement" or "running some errands" or "assessing a salvage boat on the beach." I had let them know I was on a delivery schedule before it was pulled, but now I have several other boats blocking me in and the yard said they had not been able to contact the owners of those boats to arrange a time to splash. All in all, they've got me by the "huevons" and I sit and wait.

dvd*

I was thinking that in the situation you were in up there, I'd have paid the 21 bucks per foot, not liking it a bit, for sure, but I would have paid it thinking it was my best option. There really wasn't any more time left for shopping. Still, if they really didn't tell you this, I'd begin checking with every boat they splash before you to see what they paid. If you end up being exceptionally over the rate they paid, there's always the local TV channel and BBB to complain to, as well as these web sites. Careful to get your facts straight before putting the message out though. I'd be sick about it, yes, but we both know that you're not sick about the damage to your new boat. That's a very good thing, and surely worth the money spent. Meanwhile, it's kinda tough knowing that you're paying to pump out the bosses basement.

Wow I am on the upper chesapeake and was just quoted a price of $150 total to pull , block andre launch my boat at my marina

As soon as I get wet I'm on my way to the Chesapeake -- sounds like a nicer neighborhood.

dvd

Check with Ur state Attorney Generals office and FEMA may be a good source as well, since they quoted you a lower price! Varies by state, but you may have a code forbidding price gouging during times of emergencies. Sometimes a call to the owner may change his mind. Get the names of the other boat owners too. There is strength in numbers!

Definitely call the State Attorneys General office. Deltaville, VA prices ranged from 6-8 round trip.

-- Edited by Daddyo on Monday 29th of August 2011 07:56:18 PM

dvd wrote:
Drove up to the NJ yard where I pulled my boat for Irene. I had mentioned in another post how professional Lockwood Boat Works in South Amboy, NJ handled the pre-hurricane situation with all the boats they were asked to pull. I had agreed on the phone to a $12/ft charge to pull out (that is their published rate on their web site) and the insurance company had authorized the charge. So no damage issues with the boat, but when I was handed the bill it was for $21/ft. The explanation was "the storm," and "it made us incredibly busy." When I asked to speak with the yard owner, he was "pumping out his basement" or "running some errands" or "assessing a salvage boat on the beach." I had let them know I was on a delivery schedule before it was pulled, but now I have several other boats blocking me in and the yard said they had not been able to contact the owners of those boats to arrange a time to splash. All in all, they've got me by the "huevons" and I sit and wait.

*dvd*
*I have no clue, but one would think that there are anti-gouging laws in effect here.* That is outrageous behavior.* Good luck getting it resolved.

Edelweiss wrote:
FEMA may be a good source as well, since they quoted you a lower price!
*Just curious.... what would FEMA have to do with this?

dvd wrote:
As soon as I get wet I'm on my way to the Chesapeake -- sounds like a nicer neighborhood.

dvd
*Great**** where on the chesapeake are you heading?** anything I can do for you let me know* I am on the northern part of the bay

Going to North Point Marina, Rock Hall.

dvd

My advice is to not bother trying to pursue anything with the attorney general, or FEMA, or whatever.

I am guessing it won't get you anywhere and will just bring you down more the longer you try.

Sometimes you just have to accept the screwing, and move on, put it behind you. You don't want to add any additional misery to your delivery trip.

This is supposed to be a happy time....make the best of the rest of your trip.

I checked with FEMA and they told me that price gouging during a declared emergency is prohibited*and they directed me to the New Jersey State AG website at the link below*and read the excerpt:

http://www.nj.gov/oag/newsreleases11/pr20110827a.html

NEWARK Attorney General Paula T. Dow and the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs today warned gasoline retailers, grocers, and other merchants that price gouging is prohibited during the State of Emergency declared in advance of Hurricane Irene.

Dow and Thomas R. Calcagni, Director of the Division of Consumer Affairs, reminded retailers that the State of Emergency declared by Governor Chris Christie automatically activated New Jerseys price gouging law. The law makes it illegal to sell merchandise at excessive price increases during a State of Emergency or within 30 days of the termination of the State of Emergency.

During life-threatening emergencies like this, New Jerseyans should be looking out for each other not looking to scam each other, Attorney General Dow said. We will look closely at every complaint about alleged price gouging. Anyone found to be violating the law will face significant penalties.

The law deems price increases excessive if they are more than 10 percent higher than the price at which a good or service was sold in the usual course of business prior to the State of Emergency; or, if additional costs are imposed by suppliers or certain logistical concerns during the State of Emergency, the increase is more than 10 percent of the amount of markup from cost, compared with the markup ordinarily applied.

If you don't wnat to pursue this, at least show this to the boat yard manager.* Allowing them to get away with these excesses hurts everybody in the long run.

Larry B

10 percent?! *Well, if that really is the case, it surely sounds like you have a bone to pick with them. *I'd definitely say something about it, but if they looked me in the eye and asked me if my boat was worth it, I couldn't look them back in the eye and say "no".

**Some things just aren't right, but it sure doesn't control the price of gold.

After a long discussion with the owner, during which I mentioned "attorney general" and "price gouging" in the same sentence, he asked me to step out of his office for a few minutes... I assume he called his lawyer because he came out and changed everyone's rate back to $12/ft.

dvd wrote:
After a long discussion with the owner, during which I mentioned "attorney general" and "price gouging" in the same sentence, he asked me to step out of his office for a few minutes... I assume he called his lawyer because he came out and changed everyone's rate back to $12/ft.
*Well done for yourself and all.* I thought I had recalled a federal law on price gouging and am glad you were able to use it to good effect.

Excellent, DVD. I'm going to remember that little trick in the next storm.

dvd wrote:
It's really not the money,the owners actions were just ethically wrong!! *That a fellow boater/citizen would see an exigent situation as an opportunity to exploit their neighbors is reprehensible. *
As the New Jersey AG said, "During life-threatening emergencies like this, New Jerseyans should be looking out for each other not looking to scam each other!"

Good for you David,* I applaud your strength of character!!**

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom