Prop Shaft Packing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joesmainship

I have a 98 Mainship 350 with single 3116 Cat.* My prop shaft is size 1 3/4 inches. The packing gland only has about 1/4 inch left to tighten. What size packing do I need to repack and what type does everyone recommend? Thanks!

I've used the GFO packing also with great results. I installed all new packing 3 1/2 years and about 600 hours ago and only had to adjust one side recently. Great stuff.

The only way to determine what size you need is to measure it. Open up your packing gland and measure the inside diameter, subtract the shaft diameter and cut that figure in half. I have 1 3/4 shafts and seem to remember I used 3/8, or was it 1/2"? Don't remember for sure.

The stuff is fairly cheap.* Use Brent's advice and if you are unsure, just buy a couple of different sizes and use what fits.* Don't worry.* The boat will not sink while you are jackin' around with it.* Water does come in but it is not as much as you may think or as you may fear.

By the way, I just checked and my boat uses 1/2" packing. That's for a 1 3/4" shaft and the type of packing gland with the big nut (about 4") and collar that tightens down. Your's may vary of course!

Brent Hodges
Albin 43 Sundeck
Seabrook, Tx.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom