GB36: Which hull is best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rustybarge

Guru
Vessel Make
Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Hi All,

I'm considering a GB36, and I've noticed that late 80's and 90" s boats are considerably more expensive than the earlier ones. I believe the old hull was widened and lengthened 1987; is this the reason for the price difference and does this affect the overall performance?

Here in Europe the 70's and 80's GB36 are priced at about £60k, the 90's versions start at £100k and go right up to £150k for pristine sedan & Europa versions.

I intend to buy an early do-er-upper because i have only my pension income to fund the refit, and would be grateful of any advice on the best 36 model to buy.

Tia.

I'm not sure when they changed but at some point they went from a semi-displacement hull to something closer to a planing hull. The cost difference will be in having two big diesels instead of two Ford Lehman 135. Personally I'd just see how they're powered and go with the Lehmans because I can't afford the fuel to run the big motors they way they are intended. And you're paying extra for the Grand Banks name anyway, although they certainly are nice.

Get on the Grand Banks owners forum. Lots of info there. From memory they changed the molds to produce a wider cabin (and possibly the hull also) in early eighties?? Gives more living space inside but not as pretty in my opinion. I like the earlier ones.

I'm not sure when they changed but at some point they went from a semi-displacement hull to something closer to a planing hull. The cost difference will be in having two big diesels instead of two Ford Lehman 135. Personally I'd just see how they're powered and go with the Lehmans because I can't afford the fuel to run the big motors they way they are intended. And you're paying extra for the Grand Banks name anyway, although they certainly are nice.

I grew up on a farm and I've done lots of hours ploughing with the smaller 4 cylinder ford 80 & 100hp engines: beautifully smooth and IMO much nicer than the rattly old Perkins. :) my only resevation is the amount of smoke they produce on Start up; funnily enough we never noticed back in the day.

My only experience of GB is on YouTube.lol. you are right about the planing ability of the 36 hull, it can get-up-and-go with just twin 210hp motors topping out at 16kts without pushing a wall of water at the bow; impressive for a 12 ton boat, and something I was very surprised to see as I thought they were massive bull dozers .

My main interest was that they seem to have a residual value, even the oldest models seem to sell; maybe you wouldn't lose that much in comparison to an unknown make of boat after a refit?

Get on the Grand Banks owners forum. Lots of info there. From memory they changed the molds to produce a wider cabin (and possibly the hull also) in early eighties?? Gives more living space inside but not as pretty in my opinion. I like the earlier ones.

The Europa style boats are totally gorgeous, but are way over my budget.:rolleyes:

I really like the overall look of the boat, but very few sedans are for sale over here and go for crazy prices. They seem to be bullet proof GRP hulls with all round good performance.

Sounds like you're somewhat limited in funds so if I were you I'd be looking at the earlier boats w a single engine. A lighter more efficient and drier boat.

Sounds like you're somewhat limited in funds so if I were you I'd be looking at the earlier boats w a single engine. A lighter more efficient and drier boat.

That sounds interesting. I've only been watching yatchworld for a couple of months, but no single engines boats have come onto the market.

Was the single engined boat a Lehman 120hp, or a bigger 180 or 210 turbo engine?

RB,
It was a John Deere 120hp 6cyl.
Keep looking.

RB,
It was a John Deere 120hp 6cyl.
Keep looking.

I would be very surprised if any JD engines made it over the pond, as there were no agents selling Deere farm machinery until much later in the 90's. The tradition in the UK is single engine up to 32', and twin over that length.

Now that electric cars are starting to sell we should see the price of diesel decrease making twin engines cheaper to run: hard to accept with our experience of ever increasing prices over the last 50 years.

Peter,
It was some time ago but I think the add copy said it was the original engine.
ANY 32' GB's over there? Or NT?

Peter,
It was some time ago but I think the add copy said it was the original engine.
ANY 32' GB's over there? Or NT?

Lots & lots of 32's both wood and GRP. Do you mean Marine Traders by nt......quite a few of those as well. I've always presumed the 32' was a displacement hull, as I've never heard of one with a big enough engine to get up on the plane?

A 32' would be big enough, but I would like to have the option of a faster ' run for shelter ' speed because the boat will be based close to Gibraltar which has unpredictable weather. Everyone one seems to confirm that the 36' planes very well and doesn't Fall into a hole at 12kts like most semi-d hulls.

The post '87 hull is 6" wider. The major functional difference being evident in the aft cabin head where the wider boats have a separate shower. Most of the early boats had single engines, most of the later boats have twins. The hull shape isn't significantly different. Only 36' boats with > 400 hp will plane, otherwise 9.5-10 knts max. Whether you have single 120hp or twin 135hp! The older boats tend to have a lot of expensive parts at the end of their life cycle, despite good pm- teak decks, black iron fuel tanks, water heaters, window frames, aluminum water tanks, main engines and generators etc. hence the steep price difference.

The post '87 hull is 6" wider. The major functional difference being evident in the aft cabin head where the wider boats have a separate shower. Most of the early boats had single engines, most of the later boats have twins. The hull shape isn't significantly different. Only 36' boats with > 400 hp will plane, otherwise 9.5-10 knts max. Whether you have single 120hp or twin 135hp! The older boats tend to have a lot of expensive parts at the end of their life cycle, despite good pm- teak decks, black iron fuel tanks, water heaters, window frames, aluminum water tanks, main engines and generators etc. hence the steep price difference.

Thanks for the info; that explains a lot! So its either 120hp for 10kts max or twin 210hp for 15kts, that makes the choices a lot easier.Im aware of the teak deck problems, and indeed the mild steel fuel tanks which could cost a fortune to replace, and of course the rotten windows.

Just to prove the hull can plane...

That sounds interesting. I've only been watching yatchworld for a couple of months, but no single engines boats have come onto the market.

Was the single engined boat a Lehman 120hp, or a bigger 180 or 210 turbo engine?

My 1982 GB 36 has a single Lehman 120 hp, no turbo. Love it.

Old thread came back to life. So @Caballero, were the older 1970's, which were wood, full displacement hulls or always SD?

Old thread came back to life. So @Caballero, were the older 1970's, which were wood, full displacement hulls or always SD?

I don't know for sure, but to my knowledge the GB 36 FRP hulls are based on the original wood hulls and are hard-chined aft, and are therefor described as SD. They switch from wood to FRP occurred in 1972-3. I only recently learned that with enough power you could get these hulls to plane. I figured I was really flying if I broke 8 kts. :dance:

I had understood that the mold change to a slightly wider and slightly longer hull was done in 1987-8. I have a neighbor with a 1988, and it's pretty hard to tell the difference, but I kind of agree that it's not quite as pretty as my 1982. That may just be my pride talking.:lol:

They changed molds in 1988/87. After that they were about 6" longer, and 6" wider. I agree, I like the pre-change hulls better, but I'd move up if my 1982 hadn't had 12 years of upgrades that I'd just have to do all over again. The post 88/89 hulls are more expensive, but they have been up-powered to twin Cummins turbos. I don't want that. I like my dependable Ford Lehman tractor engines. I only buy fuel every couple of years, and not much. And the earlier versions have a little bit better "fit and finish, IMHO". But, to each his own. Now, what I'd like is a GB 42 with a single engine, so I could really enjoy the engine room. They're out there, but rare. I've missed two. If you know of one, please let me know. I'll put you in my will.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom