Pilot house under $100k?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HRK123

Hey guys, new here. I'm wondering if there are any pilot house style trawlers in the 36-40' range, under $100k. Used, obviously - classic fiberglass ideally. Even if not a true pilot house, I love the feel and layout of a centered helm and partitioned wheelhouse. Are there any lower-priced trawlers with this sort of arrangement? I'm looking for something under $100k, preferably way under. Grand Banks or Aldin 36 is the ideal size for me, and I'd be seriously considering them if not for the helm position. Even so, they may be my go-to if there aren't any pilot houses in a similar price range. Just curious if there are any out there that I haven't come across yet.

Last edited:
Check out Craigslist Tampa Bay, there's a Krogen 42 offered for $45,000. It's a 1977 and needs some TLC.

Lord Nelson Victory Tug. Usually right around $100-120k.

Thanks guys - I'll check out the Victory Tugs and the Krogen in FL. Any other brands/models I should seek out for this type of layout?

Look at a 40 ft blue water . There are 2 or 3 on YW.

Attachments

• LUCY Sketch.png
    LUCY Sketch.png
    85.4 KB · Views: 1,026
Last edited:
Another vote for Bluewater 40. Usually 1 or 2 will be for sale around your budget.

And a third vote for the Bluewater 40.

Been my home for two years now. Awesome boat

There will be many older boats many made in Asia. Be prepared to turn down any that do poorly on key survey issues and accept that significant upgrading and repair may be needed for others. Occasionally a boat comes on the market where the previous owner has done all the hard work, and with patience you can find one of that category.

In case you're not aware, if you go to Yachtworld and select "Advanced Search", there is a category for "Pilothouse". On that page there is also ways to corral your search for max price, a range of LOA, # of engines, Yr model, etc. However be aware their categories tend to overlap quite a bit so you might want to include categories like motor yacht and trawler.
A quick glance showed about 40 boats that might meet your needs just in the pilothouse category. One that caught my eye was a 32' Nordic Tug for $97k.

...but then i'm a bit partial to Tug designs ;)
Good Luck!

Not a separate pilothouse (nor is the Albin or GB), but a relatively newer boat with low hours and ability to run a little faster if desired.
Yachtworld 35' 2003 Magna Marine in Carrabelle ,Fl. Lot of boat for the money IMHO.
12kt cruise, genset, outside (cockpit) steering station. Looks well maintained. $99,000.

Toadhall - my wife and I just made an offer on one and would love to learn more about them (not a lot of info online). Please PM me if you have time...I'd love to pick your brain.

Thanks!
Steven

We've owned a Bluewater 40 for 14 years and spent 2 years and too much money rebuilding her. However, we have been cruising and living on her 4-5 months a year for the last 12 years. Would be happy to talk to you about Bluewaters.

Tator

We've owned a Bluewater 40 for 14 years and spent 2 years and too much money rebuilding her. However, we have been cruising and living on her 4-5 months a year for the last 12 years. Would be happy to talk to you about Bluewaters.

Tator

Thank you! Sent you a private message with my contact info.

We've got a mainship "pilothouse sedan bridge" 40' and for 100k, you could get the boat and do a heck of a lot of customizing.

Nice big destroyer wheel, centered, a joy to operate. I'll try to get a pic up. ...

It was nice speaking with you yesterday Steve. I hope everything works out. The Bluewater 40 Trawler is a great find, especially when they are well kept. Here is some of the original paperwork found when I purchased by Bluewater years back.

Take care,

Josh

Attachments

• 40 BLUEWATER TRAWLER Original Info and Rendering .pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 94
Thanks Josh, same here...the wisdom of crowds! Our offer was accepted so we're moving to surveys shortly.

@f508,,hi i just looked at this boat a few days ago (09/15/21),, if you click on the link is this the same boat that you posted in 2017?

Bluewater 40

Sometimes I think I have every boat ever made obviously a huge exaggeration but sometimes it feels that way. I’ve owned a Bluewater 40 for a short time here’s what I know about them. Definitely a classic pilot house trawler very nice pilot house ,Portuguese bridge, most of them have twin engines.there also a lot of plywood , plywood house plywood decks plywood cabin roof ,plywood Portuguese bridge with a thin layer of fiberglass for waterproofing , that’s good and bad .cheap and fairly easy to repair although it’s a lot of work .matching the curves ,a lot of gluing and clamping.If you’re able to do that kind of work and have a place to do it preferably a boat house you can have a really nice classic pilothouse trawler. They’re also a fairly large boat . mine was a little over 15 feet loaded on a trailer can make it kind of challenging to have it moved .you’ll also need a pretty good size slip . if it were me I would go for the Nordic smaller boat better fiberglass single engine smaller slip Etc. etc. especially if it’s your first boat the Bluewater would be a lot to tackle.The one I owned ,I bought from an insurance company it’s sunk in a boat house .I cleaned it up pulled the engines then decided to pass it along ,I know where the boat is if you want a project you can probably get it for less than 10 grand . Cash in hand and Johnny on the spot will get you a nice boat for a little money I’ve been doing it for years “guaranteed”

Tayana 42 ph Trawler is great option20210710_162401.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom