Carver Californian Background

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mkinter

Veteran Member
We own a Carver Californian 45 that has 4500 hours on it. It's not a dock queen.
I often see the argument that the Marshal Californians were the only ones worth owning. I'm not qualified to enter into that discussion, but I do have a copy of the Carver background lit that might explain some of the differences and improvements that Carver/Genmar introduced to the Californian line.
The pdf file is 18mb and too large to upload here, but if you're interested I can send you a link to Dropbox where I left the file.
In short, in a very short period of time a world class facility and staff were assembled to manufacture a high quality boat.

If would appreciate the link as my 1990 45 is a Carver Californian.
Mitchell

I too would like the link. I like some of the items Carver did to update the boats. Not sure where your information comes from about what some say about the build quality of east and west coast builds. I like them all but like the Tustin builds better. This of course is personal preference.

I also would like to have that document. Thanks

Please send me a copy of the link. I agree with Capt. Jon.

Thankls

That would be an interesting read, mkinter. Thanks in advance for sending the link.

mkinter,

Did you ever send the link? I am looking forward to seeing the article. Thanks in advance.

That worked great, Mark! Thanks for the interesting read.

mkinter, Thanks for this wonderful piece of History. It's great to have the names of the people involved. I don't think there is a question they improved the boat from a construction stand point. I just wish they would have talked about the interior changes they made and why. When my wife and I were looking back in 2014 and the deal appeared to go south on the 1986, 48MY we purchased we started looking at any and all 48's we could find. The first one was a 1990 or 91 48 MY we looked at and we saw the forward bunks had been replaced with a Queen. I saw that as a negative change. The galley has a full size refrigerator which was a big plus but we have come to love our NorKold. The round SS sink I see as a neg compared to my deep double sink. The space that was need to put in the queen had to come from some place and 2'4" were taken from the salon and of course the engine room. I have a good friend with a 1991 55' CPMY and he was shocked the first time he came on board and saw the differences. I wouldn't trade my 1986 Marshall built for anything but again thank you for sharing this with us.

I am very surprised at the many different variations of both in interior and bridge layouts. I love my forward queen and even though I do not use the lower helm it allows me redundancy just in case.

I had always thought the “Californian” was a brand name. I’ve never heard the word Carver mentioned.

So is the boat called a Californian actually a Carver brand boat?
I obviously don’t know much about Californians or Carvers.

The first Californians were made by Marshall Boats. Here's a summary from the Californian section description.

Designer Jule Marshall founded Californian Yachts in the early 70's. In 1980, Californian was sold to Wellcraft Marine until '84 when he bought the brand back. Sold again in '86 to Carver that continued building until retiring the brand in '91. In '98 Marshall resurrected the brand in his new company Navigator Yachts where it remains in production. Models range in size from 30-55' in length.

Today, Navigator is no longer in business. We'll need to update this description.

I'm pretty sure most if not all of the Wellcraft models were built on the best coast. I believe the Carver models were built on the least coast.

:hide:

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure most if not all of the Wellcraft models were built on the best coast. I believe the Carver models were built on the least coast.

:hide:

I thought that was one of your very rare typo's "best" instead of West. . . . . .until I got to the "least" coast :rofl::rofl: lol. . .

Ok. . . . I'm done now:whistling:

Merry Christmas Everybody
:flowers:

I'm pretty sure most if not all of the Wellcraft models were built on the best coast. I believe the Carver models were built on the least coast.:hide:

My 1989 was built in California.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 1989 was built in California.

There's obviously more to the story than we have been told or we have recorded here in our summary. I wish we could talk to Jule Marshall about where the boats were built.

There's obviously more to the story than we have been told or we have recorded here in our summary. I wish we could talk to Jule Marshall about where the boats were built.

Mine was hull #12 of the 89 models...built in late 88. Most of the 90's were built in North Carolina.

I always noticed that the California built boats were off white in hull color while the NC boats were more plain white.

Thanks for the dropbox link. That will be some good reading.

The earlier ones were built in Santa Ana California. I own one of their first boats a 1966 Express 28 model with twin Crusaders below deck. They are desirable as fishing boats. Good hulls. Still quite a few in Mexico in the sport fishing fleet. Newport Beach Ca patrol boat #3 maybe #1 is a 1970 hull.

Thank you. There are a LOT of similarities between Californians and my boat a Camargue.

Link availability

We own a Carver Californian 45 that has 4500 hours on it. It's not a dock queen.
I often see the argument that the Marshal Californians were the only ones worth owning. I'm not qualified to enter into that discussion, but I do have a copy of the Carver background lit that might explain some of the differences and improvements that Carver/Genmar introduced to the Californian line.
The pdf file is 18mb and too large to upload here, but if you're interested I can send you a link to Dropbox where I left the file.
In short, in a very short period of time a world class facility and staff were assembled to manufacture a high quality boat.

Is that link still available. I have an 89 Carver Californian that we remodeled.

Post 9 has the link, still works

Back
Top Bottom