Thread: Navtronics plus
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2017, 08:44 PM   #15
tadhana
Guru

City: New England and Canada to Florida
Vessel Name: Tadhana
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Pilothouse
I have been using Navionics on my iPad for several years. It has proven so useful, I now have the iPad permanently mounted at the helm station, and use it in conjunction with Coastal Explorer on my PC and my Raymarine Chartplotter. The Sonar Charts add a whole new dimension of bathymetric information. I use the auto-routing function when i need to change my route mid trip. It is terrific for playing what if questions. It has very good tine and current information. So far it has never lead me astray, and I have used it from Marathon to the Canadian border on Lake Champlain and out to Cape Cod, multiple times.

I have been hired as the navigator on several deliveries on the ICW and also used it delivering boats back from the Bahamas. it can be updated anytime you want to. I generally update it weekly. Two weeks after Hurricane Matthew we were headed south. The Navionics updates were available as soon as the Notice to Mariners were published. Navionics had every buoy on location. It is not perfect, but it is better than Garmin, and better than NOAA ENCs or raster charts.
tadhana is offline   Reply With Quote