Dink On The Transom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave_E

Vessel Name
Agnus Dei
Vessel Make
36' Shin Shing
Hi All,

While driving to our new home on a 3.5 hour delivery trip, we noticed the exhaust (from an extender tube to the rear of the swim platform) was just balling up inside the dink. We had following winds and basically gassed us out all the way home. :eek: The PO had installed the Weaver mount system and the two top rods that hold the dink upright are in the way if you need to go to the other side to step off. Our door to the swim platform is on the port side of the stern. We don't have enough room over the stateroom top to put a dink.

We towed the dink with our sailboat. Do any of you tow you dinks?

Dave

Yes, some tow their dinghies. How fast do you plan to cruise and what type of dinghy?

Ted

I think my top speed will be 7.3-8 SOG. Inflatable for now.

We tow ours with a proper two point bridle with a peanut float, but only for relatively short runs. Longer runs we dismount the motor and wrestle the dingy up on the bow.

I have towed my dinghies from time to time on really short runs at low speeds on a calm days.

I do have to say, towing dinghies is not my cup of tea. Seen to many things go wrong when towing dinghies. However that is just me. If you comfortable doing it, go for it.

Cheers.

H.

I had a f/g dinghy flip in strong winds on Sydney harbour, creating a vacuum which made it tough to right, could happen with inflatables too.
There are times to tow and times to not, convenience is a consideration,so are conditions, distance, exposed or protected waters, etc. A bridle is a must.

Lots of folks tow here.
If you tow, and you have a small dinghy, the most frequent mishap is wrapping the painter around a prop, either the dinghy's or the mother ship's. That can be eliminated by shortening the painter, so it will not reach it's own propellor. Thus when tied onto the stern cleat, the bight will not reach the ship's prop.

Over the years I have found my dinghy is very happy close to the back of my boat (see in avatar). If I was towing a large, hard dinghy instead of a small inflatable, I might want to have it ride on the face of a wave 100 or so behind, that way it wouldn't want to attack my boat. I tried that with a 19' I/O speedboat once and it was happy back there. I wasn't happy with the amount of attention required for docking, so got rid of the large tender.

Last edited:
Yes to tow

Tow a 15ft boston whaler
Has its disadvantages but well worth it when you get to the anchorage, if your a marina hopper not so much. We spend 80% of our time on the hook so it's well worth it. Marinas can be a pain towing a dink. You have to choose what's right foe you.

I have a roskelly manual tilt davit on my platform and it keeps my ding out of the water when not at use during the week etc. But when I head north for 2-3 weeks in the summer I disconnect it, leave it at the marina and I tow. I have an 11 foot inflatable (AB RIB with big 17" tubes) and a 20 horse 4 stroke. I hear tales of flipping etc. In our inside waters I'd like to see what it takes to flip. Actually I'd hate to see it. I shouldn't have been out in it.

I hate climbing around the davit on the platform, putting it in and out in every anchorage etc.

I have towed my dinghies from time to time on really short runs at low speeds on a calm days.

I do have to say, towing dinghies is not my cup of tea. Seen to many things go wrong when towing dinghies. However that is just me. If you comfortable doing it, go for it.

Cheers.

H.

My feelings exactly!

Back
Top Bottom